18 - we fit IN at the INN

It was yet another moment where I had relaxed completely and watched as Charlie drove. We had been on the road for an hour already, the windows rolled down. The sun was yet to set for hours, so my case for sunglasses was empty.

''Green Day? Again?'' Charlie complained, making a small laugh. ''it's been a year.''

''It's been a year and it's still the best album of 2004,'' I replied instantly, turning my head to him.

Charlie shrugged and bit his lip.

''It's funny... you really don't look like their regular fan,''

''What's that supposed to mean?'' I giggled.

''Green Day is a punk band,''

''Yeah. Do I have to look like them to listen to their music?'' I showed my tongue to Charlie. ''I'm sure that the average Metallica fan has jammed out to some Beyoncé.''

Charlie didn't argue with my response and continued to drive, constantly placing one hand on my leg. I smiled, placing my hand on his as we drove down the highway.

''Has Nora told you what they're going to call the kid?'' Charlie asked me.

I shook my head.

''No, why do you think I'd know?''

''You two talk about everything- Bud as well. Don't leave me out!''

''No way!'' I laughed. ''but yeah... no idea about that. But if Nora tells me and not you, I can't tell you until they're born...''

''What, you wouldn't tell me?''

''It's your sister!''

''Precisely!'' Charlie exclaimed, looking at me for a second and burst into laughter. ''and you wouldn't tell me something that my sister has done or plans to do?''

''Lorraine's told me a bunch of stuff too that you don't know,''

Charlie turned his head again, keeping his gaze on me. I took his face in my hand and turned his head back to the road.

''Watch the road,'' I replied. ''and... don't worry, it's just girl secrets mostly.''

Charlie smirked and sighed, continuing to drive. Soon, as we had decided, we parted from the highway and drove to an inn we had searched up on the Internet. We had not made a reservation yet, however, thankfully, the place wasn't busy.

I opened the door and took my backpack. Charlie remained in the car, so I instantly peeked back inside.

''You not coming?''

''Ahh, we were driving and I heard something under-'' Charlie began and stepped outside. I looked at him with a questioning expression. He ducked under the car and I raised an eyebrow. I prayed there was nothing wrong with the car. ''we were making some weird noises in the last hour, I just didn't say anything.''

''Oh, can you tell why?''

Charlie exhaled loudly while getting up.

''I'll try. Doesn't sound like anything too serious but- can you maybe go check us a room inside and I'll join you in a bit?''

''Charlie, now?''

Charlie gave me an apologetic look and walked over.

''Are you a little scared to book us a room?''