4 - the good old flip-phone days

The only struggle I found after approaching the Baker's house was finding which window belonged to Charlie. The house was massive and I didn't know where to start. Not that I wanted to wake the whole house up either.

As well as I hid from the chilly autumn weather with my sweater, I tried to sneak around the bushes. Midway of going around the house, I realized how just scared someone would get if they found me here.

However, when I had already lost hope and reached the back of the house, I found an open window with the light on. I ducked, walking towards the window.

''Psst,'' I hissed, ducked under the window.

''Did you hear that?'' someone whispered.

''Hey,'' I said quietly, already knowing that I wasn't faced with Charlie.

As two figures walked by the window, looking outside, I decided to stand up, hoping that none of them would scream.

''Woah!'' a young boy exclaimed. ''who are you?''

''Yeah, who are you?'' the girl asked.

They looked very much alike, sharing the same brown hair and brown eyes.

''Hi,'' I waved. ''I'm Natalie. I wanted to see Charlie.''

The boy and girl exchanged looks, smiling.

''He's on the second floor. Do you want to sneak in?'' the girl asked, smirking.

''No, better not,'' I replied, grinning. ''which is his window?''

''It's the one on the second floor on that side,'' the boy replied. ''you'll need to throw a rock or something at his window sill. We could go and wake him up, of course.''

''I don't want to cause a fuss, so probably not a good idea,'' I said, nodding. ''but thanks for the help! I'll try my best.''

The boy and girl watched me turn back left to find Charlie's window. As I ducked back down, sneaking around the other windows, they whispered among themselves. I disappeared from their sight.

Recognizing Charlie's window was now easy, however, I was distraught by no light. I worried not to wake him up. However, I knew I would be disappointed in myself for not having tried.

I found a few tiny pebbles by the bushes and observed the window again. I aimed towards the window sill and threw it lightly.

''Shit,''

It didn't go even near the window sill.

''All right,'' I whispered, aiming at the sill again and hoping to see it land at least closer to it.

I waved my hands angrily, as I saw it hit the wall next to it. I thought that if I kept swinging pebbles at the wall then someone else might show up.

''Last chance,'' I said quietly, stretching out my hand and throwing the pebble.

I jumped in excitement, hoping that Charlie had heard the small noise that came from his window sill. I kept looking up eagerly, waiting to see Charlie's face.

Then, just moments later, she saw the window open.

''Hey,'' I whispered, waving with my hand.

''Natalie!'' Charlie exclaimed, his voice quiet. ''what are you doing?''

I saw beyond happy to see his wide grin, more so, his messy hair.

''I wanted to talk to you,'' I replied.

''That was you throwing the rocks?'' Charlie laughed.

''They were tiny!''

''Not about that! I thought I heard some noise but decided to ignore it until you finally hit the window sill,'' Charlie said.

''Ha-ha,'' I replied.

''I'll have to train you with basic throwing,''

''I still managed to do it,'' I laughed back. ''well, I thought that I'd come and tell you that my parents agreed on you fixing the car! They said it sounds wonderful.''

''Great!'' Charlie replied. ''so what about tomorrow? Am I picking you up for school?''

''More like I'm walking here,'' I replied, smiling. ''and yes, sounds good. Since the car's making some weird noises, let's not irritate it more than necessary.''

''When do your classes start tomorrow?''

''8:30. You?''

''I'll check quickly,'' Charlie replied, zooming away from the window.

I heard the noise of shuffling of papers until Charlie's face emerged from his room again.

''Same!'' he said. ''Lorraine's with us and she starts at the same time too. Be here around 7:50, all right?''

I nodded.

For some seconds, Charlie and I looked at each other, smiling widely, not saying anything.

''I think you should give me your number unless you want to take three rocks every day and throw them at my window,'' Charlie said.

My mouth opened.

''I'll throw a rock right now and you stay there,'' I replied, pretending to duck down by the bushes.

Charlie laughed, backing away.

''But yes... I was thinking about the same thing,'' I said, smiling again.

''I'll get my phone in a second,'' Charlie said, disappearing from the sight again.

However, this time, it took him less time to find his phone.

''All right,'' Charlie said. ''I'm ready.''

I named the digits of my mobile phone number and Charlie dialed it on his phone. When I was done, he smiled, crossing his arms and leaning out from the window slightly.

''I'm glad you came here,'' Charlie said.

''Me too,'' I replied, giving him a smile. ''sorry if I woke you up...''

''You didn't actually,'' he laughed. ''I was in bed, just thinking to myself, but the lights were off.''

We shared another silent moment, smiling at each other.

''I think I'll go and try to fall asleep. Otherwise, I'll do that tomorrow at school,'' I said.

Charlie nodded.

''You'll get back inside safely?''

''Yeah,'' I whispered back.

''I'll see you tomorrow then,'' Charlie said, watching me take a few steps.

''See you tomorrow,'' I replied, still looking at him, as I took a few more steps.

I looked back once, seeing Charlie still hanging out from the window until I walked in front of their house. I heard Charlie close the window, as I stepped onto the street. Thankfully, all lights were off in my house.

It took me no time at all to sneak back into my room. I took off the sweatshirt and jeans, changing into my pajamas. As I lay down in bed, a small ding surprised me.

My eyes shot towards my phone that sat on my desk. I hopped out of bed, picking it up. I smiled immediately, seeing a text from an unknown number.

It's Charlie. Good night :)

I smiled even more, seeing Charlie's name on my phone. I stood in the same spot typing a message back.

Hiya! :) Now we better try to fall asleep.

It took only a minute for me to get a reply back.

Night, Natalie

I jumped back in my bed, taking my phone with me. Before I fell asleep, I looked at the messages again.