23 - the return of the... guy

Firstly, omg, I'm so sorry for taking a whole ass month away from this story. I really didn't mean to, just kind of lost the WILL to write. Now I'm back. There's still stuff to tell in this story and I'm very thankful for all of you reading! COPPER BOOM! ❀

The next morning, we all ate breakfast at the table. Even with yesterday's events, Charlie and I kept in the same good mood as the evening had brought us. After hanging out together by the fire, we had decided to drive away somewhere more private for an hour.

''Have some more toast,'' I softly said, handing Charlie a piece but instead of taking it, he shook his head.

''I'll be taking a run later. Don't want to overeat,''

''What, immediately?''

''It's good to have a little exercise in the morning,'' Charlie replied and proudly smiled.

I huffed and decided to eat the toast in his place. Sarah gave our exchange a small chuckle and I smiled, seeing how much more uplifted she was opposite to yesterday.

Already inside our bedroom, seeing as Charlie was putting on his running shoes, I leaned against a cupboard and watched him.

''Yes?'' Charlie prolonged the word, raising an eyebrow.

I blushed instantly.

''What, I'm just looking,''

Charlie smirked to himself and walked closer to me.

''Sure you don't want to come too?''

''No... morning runs are not my thing and I'd rather relax here for a bit,'' I explained. ''Lorraine and I are thinking of going into town but we're not sure yet.''

''Oh, well, when will you be back?''

''Hard to say. I'll see how long it takes us to get ready, drive there and stuff... but if it takes you, like, thirty minutes to have it done then you'll be back before we leave.''

I smiled and Charlie leaned in to kiss me.

''I'll be there all sweaty and red to kiss you before you leave,'' he said, wrapping his arms around me to kiss me again.

Charlie

I had to admit that running in the mornings or even during the night was not my favorite activity. However, surrounded by the green forest, my eyes, constantly looking out for branches not to trip onto, admired the beauty of the place. I couldn't help but awe Natalie for finally joining us to be here.

I spotted a small gazebo at the top of a hill and encouraged myself to make it there without tripping and grunting too much from losing all of my energy.

Putting my hand on the post, I walked inside. My eyes instantly shot to a towel and some clothes hanging from the rail. My eyes shot to the lake, clearly seeing and hearing Anne swim towards me. I wiped my nose, looking at her, feeling the sweat drop down my face.