3 - cookies and jealousy

After having driven around, I found myself at the closest shop nearby. I had decided to find something sweet to buy for Charlie as a thank you for fixing my car.

I stood by the cookie aisle, as my eyes scanned the shelves. I pictured Charlie and the type of cookies he would enjoy. I figured that chocolate chip ones would be the best choice.

Then, wanting to include a small note along with the cookies, I picked out a neutrally-friendly-looking card with an adorable dog on it.

I paid for the two items and found myself in my room soon once again.

''Hey, has Dean given you any message? At all?'' my dad asked, coming inside.

I shook my head.

''Nothing at all. It's normal for him,'' I replied.

''Well, let me know if he calls you or anything. I hope we'll see him tomorrow,'' my father continued and left my room.

Having finished my homework, I went to bed pretty quickly. As I had planned, I would put the note and cookies in Charlie's locker during a class. Of course, to open a locker without a code, something I had learned years ago, I would have to first know which locker belonged to Charlie. But that, I left for the next day.

To my unliking, Charlie arrived at school only minutes before the bell rang and I had to find myself in a completely different corner of the school. However, standing somewhere nearby, where he could not see me, I spotted which locker belonged to him.

Number 388.

As soon as my class began, I walked back to the lockers, holding my hall pass close to me, and put the cookies and note in Charlie's locker. Of course, figuring out the combination took a few minutes too.

Hi, Charlie

Thank you for saving my ass from sleeping in the parking lot yesterday! And thank you also for fixing my car!

I hope you enjoy the cookies. :)

Natalie

Soon, my classes continued and I waited for Charlie to reach out to me. Despite not having any classes with Charlie, at least that day, I was slightly saddened not to see him around. I knew that our high school was big and that a lot of people had different schedules.

''Well, hello, Natasha!'' a voice surprised me from behind.

I turned around to see Dean. I smiled immediately and accepted his hug.

''Dean! What are you doing here?'' I asked.

''I thought I'd say hi before disappearing again,'' he replied. ''Dale's waiting for me in the car already.''

''Oh, well, I'm glad you came to say hello,'' I said.

I turned back around to my locker, putting a few books in my backpack.

''God, do you need all of those for tonight?'' Dean asked.

''You bet I do,'' I answered, not looking at him. ''it's not like you shouldn't try to do your homework sometime or does college not give any work to do?''

Dean smirked, muttering something.