11 - someone vomited in a vase just 1 hour into the party

Charlie

I opened the door to my house quietly and took off my jacket. Having closed the door, I took a few steps towards the staircase but stopped. I turned his head towards the kitchen, having heard a few steps. Normally, I would have thought that either one of the kids would be pranking me, but I knew they would be sleeping. I carefully walked inside the kitchen.

At first, taking a quick look at the kitchen, I didn't spot anything. Only when having felt someone's presence on my right, I heard a muffled scream.

''What are you doing here?'' a whispered question was thrown at me.

''Dad?'' I asked, waving with his hands. ''why are you still up?''

''I was just getting a glass of water,'' my dad answered, taking his hands off his mouth. ''were you at Natalie's?''

''Yes,'' I replied, shaking my head in confusion. ''I told you I'd come back later. What's the fuss about?''

''There is no fuss,'' my dad answered, his tone changing slightly.

There seemed to be a slight tone of curiosity in his voice. I took a few steps back, wanting to leave the kitchen, but having something on my mind. I didn't know whether it was appropriate to ask it yet.

''I'm going to bed,'' I began. ''night...''

''I thought her parents would be home,'' my dad said.

I instantly turned around, my steps being more confident than before.

''You were spying on us, right?'' I insisted.

''What- of course, not, Charlie,'' my dad replied, shrugging it off. ''I just looked through the window...''

''And so that wasn't you outside of the window? Don't you think I recognize my dad?''

My dad lingered, trying to find something to say back.

''Was the football player not enough?'' I asked. ''do you think I'm too stupid to notice?''

''He actually insisted, so you know,'' my dad said back, his tone becoming stricter

''That's so stupid...''

''I just asked whether someone could check on you- well, not like CHECK, but I wanted to know- he insisted on doing it!'' my dad whispered back, stuttering in between.

''Well, thank you for your concern, dad,'' I replied, rolling my eyes.

I began walking outside of the kitchen again, not wanting to turn around anymore. All my questions had been answered.

''I didn't mean to intrude... I just... care,''

Having heard my dad's voice, I walked upstairs and instantly went to my room. I opened the window and hung outside to see Natalie's house. I smiled, seeing that her parents' car had returned. The lights were on as well.