2 - a very warm grey hoodie

Charlie's driving calmed me down, as we moved through the streets of Evanston. However, I found myself looking at him more than ever, especially when we talked. I had just asked him why his family had moved here.

''Our dad got a good job opportunity and was asked to move. He wouldn't be able to coach from where we lived,'' Charlie explained. ''he's always wanted this job... we had no choice.''

''And you're unhappy? All of you?'' I asked in a sad tone.

''Most of us are, yeah. Mom and dad just wanted us out of there and we didn't have anything to say,''

''I understand that... when I moved here four years ago I started high school, so it made sense. Lots of people have it like this here so no one gets judged. I suppose things are different in ninth grade,''

Charlie smiled.

''But there must be some nice things here, right?'' I asked teasingly.

''There are a few,'' Charlie replied, looking at me briefly.

After a few minutes, we found ourselves at the Evanston Elementary School.

''I'll hop out of the car, so he can see me,'' I said, opening the door.

Soon, I had spotted Dale, my cousin, waiting on a bench nearby.

''Hey!'' I exclaimed, waving. ''Dale!''

''Hi! Is something wrong? Where's your car?'' Dale asked immediately and jumped to his feet.

''Why so many questions?''

Dale laughed.

''Who's that?'' he asked, spotting Charlie in his car.

''He, uhh, well... my car didn't start and he offered to drive me to you and home. His name's Charlie,'' I answered as we watched from afar.

Charlie smiled in his car, watching us. I turned back to Dale.

''Is Charlie going to get me to school tomorrow?'' Dale asked and laughed, as we walked together to the car.

''Oh, stop. This is just today... and Dean gets here in a few hours and will take you home, all right?''

''Well, hey. I might like Charlie. His car looks nice,'' Dale replied.

I opened the backseat door and let Dale in. Charlie had turned around, greeting my cousin, as I sat next to him.

''How long were you waiting for Natalie?'' Charlie asked as we drove out of the parking lot.

''Honestly, not that long. I have a few clubs I like to participate in after classes,'' Dale answered. ''and how did you meet her? Are you classmates?''

''Charlie saw me struggling to start the car and decided to be a nice gentleman and offer help,'' I replied and looked at Charlie.

He nodded, a wider grin growing on his face.

When we arrived at our street, Forest Ave, I kept glancing at Charlie who was looking around the houses as if he was trying to guess which one I lived in. Just when he had reached his new home, he stopped the car.

''All right, I want to figure out which window is yours,'' he said, taking the key out of the car. ''but we're at the right spot, right?''

I laughed out loud, nodding.

''That looks like your house!'' Charlie exclaimed, pointing with his head towards a house.

I nodded, forming my lips into a proud smile.