27 - drunk messages and winks

Anne had stolen a glossy deck of cards from her dad's room. Even though I was never one to care overly about cleanliness, I washed my hands twice before using them, so as not to leave any fingerprints on them and possibly get Anne in trouble. Just a few hours ago, I would have been fine with it, but now - I began to like her more.

''Right... Anne. What are you doing?''

I turned my head to recognize the speaker. Calvin Murtaugh had leaned up behind us.

''Good hand,'' he commented, jumping over the sofa and next to me.

My eyes widened and I giggled, the two glasses of wine having hit my head already.

''Please leave us. We're having-'' Anne commented, not even looking at her brother.

''A sleepover. I figured,'' Calvin finished her sentence.

I sighed, playing with the cards with my fingers, and raised my eyebrow when I felt Calvin get closer to me.

''Do you mind if I play?'' he asked in a low voice.

My eyes shifted from my cards and onto Anne's brother. While I didn't directly look at her, I knew Anne was wearing an irritated look. Smiling slightly, I looked at Calvin.

''I wouldn't mind but I think your sister here would,'' I smiled wider, seeing him roll his eyes.

Jumping over the sofa again, he tapped in twice.

''I'll join you when you finish this one,'' he said, pointing at my cards. ''call me over when you're done!''

His voice echoed as he walked inside the kitchen. I scratched my head and turned to Anne.

''He just wants to be in the spotlight,'' Anne rolled her eyes and I saw just how similar the two were.

''Just a game or two,'' I shrugged and laughed.

I think it might have been the wine messing with my mind or perhaps I was more sensible than usual, as I would have been anxious, but I felt as if Calvin was flirting with me. Flirting in a strange Murtaugh kind of way. Maybe because their dad didn't allow them to date, they stuck with strange compliments and physical touch.

''You know, you organize the cards really well, Nat. I just have mine all... weird,'' Calvin said, brushing his fingers through his hair.

I smiled a bit and thanked him.

''Just... helps to figure out my next move,'' I giggled and shook my head, taking another sip from my wine.

As I was downing my glass, I felt Calvin's eyes on me. When I put the glass away from my lips, he reached out to take it from me.

''I wasn't finished!'' I exclaimed and laughed, seeing him immediately taste the drink.

''I want to know what wine- oh...'' he said and vividly appreciated the drink as his face told us. ''you sure dad will allow you to drink this?''

He turned to Anne but she shrugged.

''He hasn't noticed me drinking the other bottles. Neither has he caught you,'' she simply replied.

Filling up the glass again, Calvin handed it back to me and lingered, holding onto it a bit.

''What?''

''You sure you want to have another glass though?'' he asked and I rolled my eyes.

''We've been eating and drinking responsibly,'' I replied.

''And she'll come to sleep in MY room, Calvin...'' Anne added, pinching her brother.

Calvin immediately handed me the glass back and turned to his sister.