25 - all well that ends well (has it ended?)

We returned back home and despite it being late at night, I felt my energy levels still pumping in my blood and keeping me awake. It was as if the drive to the inn and conversation with Laurie had given me a new sense of liveliness.

I put the car keys in my pocket and left the car. The lakehouse was quiet, with not a single light anywhere in the house. We entered quietly.

''Thanks for the ride, Natalie!'' Kim said and smiled at me.

''Yeah, it was really nice,'' Mark added.

The two kids wished me goodnight and walked to their rooms while I slowly walked upstairs, not to creak the floorboards too much, as I had noticed them doing.

I turned the handle quietly and opened the door.

''Nat!'' Charlie's whisper almost made me jump.

''Oh my-'' I whispered and squealed quietly when Charlie jumped off the bed.

I closed the door behind myself and hoped that no one had been woken by that.

''What are you doing?'' I asked and shook my head with a small smile. ''why aren't you sleeping?''

Charlie smiled brightly, his white teeth were visible in the darkness of the room. It seemed that he had not been sleeping at all.

''I was waiting for you...'' he said and huffed. ''I... I thought you'd be back a bit sooner.''

''Oh, well, I- I talked a bit with Laurie and the kids played around,'' I explained and turned to my bag.

I ducked down and searched for the essentials to remove my makeup. Finding my face wash, I stood back up and faced Charlie. His facial expression had changed from the previously cheerful one to a concerned one.

''Did you get your swimsuit?''

''Mhm,'' I replied and nodded. ''they left it in a storage room.''

''Good,'' Charlie sighed

''Good,'' Charlie sighed. ''are you... tired or?''

''Quite, but... I don't know,'' I wiped my forehead. ''I'd like to take off my makeup. You can go sleep now. I'm back.''

Although I was quick to turn around and tried to exit the room, Charlie's furrowed eyebrows caught my attention.

''No, Nat, what's wrong? Did something happen back there?''

''No, I just... I thought you'd be sleeping and... this was just a surprise,''

''So you didn't want me to wait for you?'' Charlie asked and I hoped to see a bit of a smile, but his voice was serious. He stared at me with a longing expression. ''I waited for you because I wanted you to get back to me...''

''I know... I'm sorry about that,''

''Then what's wrong? You... look, I-'' Charlie said, taking me by my hand. My facial cleanser still remained in my right hand. ''I should have gone with you, Nat. I shouldn't have used my few drinks as an excuse. I regret not going with you... I waited for you and couldn't fall asleep.''