21 - moments of where one could become natasha romanoff

While Mrs. Murtaugh tried to comfort Mrs. Baker as we were walking out, I felt myself fuming. Fuming and hoping that Charlie would join me by my side instead of trying to spare some last words with Anne. It seemed that the two were still giggling among themselves about Gunner attacking the dinner table and soaking both fathers in the lake water.

''Well, that was uncomfortable,'' Lorraine said quietly, running up to me.

''Yep,'' I replied in one word.

''We've been here for barely a few days and we're already raising hell,''

''Oh, yeah...''

Lorraine stared at me, as we got into Charlie's car. It was the last place I wanted to be yet I sat and looked away from the Murtaugh house.

Lorraine leaned in from behind.

''I know it's annoying... I'm sorry to see him behaving like that,'' she said, seeing Anne wave goodbye to Charlie. Anne's eyes glanced over me as well as she sent me a smile. I pretended not to have been looking at her.

''Well, I suppose it had to happen or something,'' I replied, not looking either at Lorraine or Charlie, who was walking towards the car.

''No, stop...'' Lorraine insisted. ''they're just friends.''

I snorted quickly and watched as Anne ran back inside the house. I turned around and gave Lorraine a quick smile, as Charlie hopped in the car.

''Hey, you two,'' he said with a sigh. ''that was... wow.''

''Yeah, it was,'' I agreed, not looking at him.

The drive back was just as quiet and uncomfortable. Worst of all, Charlie didn't seem to notice any issue. It wasn't until we arrived at the lake and Lorraine stepped out that Charlie turned to me.

''You feeling all right?''

''Spectacular,''

''Nat... you're not seriously upset about Murtaugh's dinner set, right?''

I  laughed, partially because Charlie's joke had been funny and partially  because I couldn't believe he did not see how uncomfortable that had  been

I laughed, partially because Charlie's joke had been funny and partially because I couldn't believe he did not see how uncomfortable that had been.

Avoiding that conversation any further we proceeded to sit down and relax by the campfire. No one really blamed anyone at the table and we mostly laughed at how bad the situation had turned out.

I was walking into the kitchen when Lorraine stopped me, placing her hand on my arm.

''I wanted to continue saying...'' she began, whispering. ''that Charlie loves you so much... you better stop thinking about that.''

''You even noticed the issue after not seeing the full picture. You should have seen how he was following her like a puppy down the cellar to get the wine, commenting about how she's changed and... well, it's just... I can't believe him!'' I whispered, taking a breath before the last sentence.