13

After having a short stare off with Jalen, we walked upstairs to the guest room and I closed the door behind us. Jalen took a seat on the edge of the guest bed putting his phone in his pocket. I stayed standing with my hands placed in the pockets of my hoodie.

"How you been?"

"Cooling. You'd know that if you called sometimes." I chuckled to shield the guilt from showing on my face.

"I'm telling you now, I'm not apologizing for not coming by and dropping off some cash because I see that as being the opportunity for you to become a man which you did so I'll give you your props." He waved me off.

"Bruh I'm not looking for no apology, I just want you to acknowledge that you were wrong for not calling or answering my calls. You my big brother, what did you expect me to say? You the only family I really got you know our other brother don't fuck with us."

I looked around the room trying not to touch on the subject of our other brother. And if you ask me, he's the reason why our dad hates me so much. Our dad snapped when our mother died, even though they weren't together at the time. He still loves her, but he tends to blame people when things don't go his way.

"Aight I give you that. I'm sorry. And Jayda texted me about your granny, my people looking for her now. She got amnesia now?" I was truly concerned because how far can an old lady go without someone noticing she's lost and has memory loss.

"Yeah. I read that if it gets worse, she might need to go into a nursing home."

"Well if that's the case, we will put her in the best one where she's safe." I patted his shoulder.

"Thanks."

"So I know you might have developed a grudge, but you ain't a lil kid no more. Obviously since you out here putting in work. Speaking of putting in work, who the hell you selling for?" I became really interested folding my arms because if it's the person I think it is, then it'd confirm my intutions that this fat mtherfucka got some heat for my ass.

Running his hand over his waves he seemed uninterested in the subject. "Some big nigga name Diamond. I only met him once. He came on the block one day to see how his blocks was holding up." he shrugged nonchalantly.

I mentally cursed himself. I was putting all the pieces together. He was recruiting from all over the city. He was starting over. Since I wiped out nearly all of his gang, Diamond has been taking in young boys and girls as young as ten to rob people and take peoples blocks over. These lil niggas out here thirsty and desperate for some bread so they're willing to do any and everything, and I think it's time for me to do the same.

"Don't sell for that nigga no more."

"Why not? You did it?" I made a buzzer noise.

"Wrong. I do it. And I'm letting you know now he a opp and you don't go against the family." Jalen nodded.

"Now I'm sure Jayda talked to you about not being in school and shit. But me, I ain't gonna stop you from making money, even though you don't want for nothing as long as I'm living. But one thing is fasho," I pulled up a chair in front of him sitting on the edge of the bed and copied the way he sat and leaned my elbows on my knees. "if you gone keep working these blocks, you gone work for me."

"Forreal?" His tone grew in eagerness. I nodded yeah. He must've thought I'd lecture him like Jayda. That ain't the case. My thing is even if I get on his ass and demand he stop selling drugs and go to school, he gone still do what he wants, especially since it isn't like he lives with me.

"Yeah slow ya roll though don't get too happy. This ain't a game, it's a business. And in this business you gone bump into a lot of cutthroats and when it comes to these niggas money, they won't hesitate to blow your brains out in front of your granny."