25

"Ready to go see your father?" I went to get Justyce the other night and Tayvon and I ended up having a mini argument about her staying an extra few days than planned. Now it was his turn to get her for the weekend.

"I'm going to see Cato? Yay!" She jumped up and down on her feet. My eyes softened.

"No baby. You're going to see your blood father, Tayvon remember." He got out of the hospital a few weeks ago from an injury at work and claims he's on paid leave so he'd have more time to bond with Justyce, as he claims. His wife and I still don't get along because at the hospital she called herself giving me a dirty look. I remember it like yesterday.

I just busted through the hospital doors with negative thoughts running through my mind. Is Justyce hurt? Did someone die? I got a call from Tayvon saying I needed to come to the hospital. I was here in less than ten minutes.

"Excuse me, where can I see Justyce Jamison?"

"I'm sorry but there's no one here under that name."

"Can you check again?"

"Mommy!"

"Justyce." I ran towards her before picking her up in a hug. I checked her for any wounds and scratches but she was harm free. What's going on? "Baby, why are you at the hospital? Where's your daddy?"

"He's in the room. He-he fell, he fell at work and-and he broke his bones." She took forever trying to talk, repeating and stumbling over her words.

""Where is your brother?" I asked instead of directly asking for Tayvon's girlfriends whereabouts.

"They went to the candy machine. She told me to wait in the, in the chair and don't move. But I moved because, because I saw you mommy. Am I in trouble?"

"Baby you are not in any kind of trouble. You're trouble free. C'mon grab my hand." I began to walk around looking for the vending machine. I finally found one like two minutes away from the waiting area and spotted Tayvon's girlfriend sitting in a chair next to Justyce's brother as they chewed on some snacks. I stopped and leaned on one leg taking in the scene. I cleared my throat so she could finally look up. She seemed shocked and stood up telling her son to stand too.

"So you just said fuck my kid then huh?"

"Jayda ain't nobody treating your kid differently. I only had four dollars on me and that wasn't enough to get her own snack."

"Then you split the snack between the kids like any decent person would. But that's the least of my concerns. You left my child by herself in a waiting room full of sick people and weirdos? Do you need to be in one of these hospital beds too?"

"She's old enough to sit--"

"No the hell she ain't. I swear on my life this conversation isn't over with. Dumb bitch."

"What you just call me?"

"You heard me."

"You need a life. Always calling my nigga about Justyce when in reality you just trying to get back with him."

"Calling Tayvon? You wish your nigga was on my nigga level."

"The way the streets talking your nigga ain't too concerned about you."

"Bitch-" I started to jump on her when the hospital security speed walked towards us. I just shook my head. She is not even worth it.

"B-but when can I go with Cato mommy? I miss him." Her bottom lip poked out.