18

I glanced at the clock on my phone for the umpteenth time this early morning. 4:11 it read. After only sleeping for an hour, I sat up all night thinking about what me and CantGetRight discovered. I wanted to go along with the plan so bad, but my patience was running thin. I felt betrayed. I felt humiliated. and most of all, I was lied to. I scanned the tattoos that I kissed a million times. Those brown lips that once lit a spark in the pit of my stomach. Everything was a lie. And it sent me into a rage. I am so sick of being played. It's not fun at all and it hurts me to the core.

I just stared at his perfectly structured face taking in all the brown details. His nose flared and unflared with every exhale and his brows were relaxed, not the usual scrunching I was used to seeing. I tried to study each one through the blue hues from the satin dark blue slip I tossed on top of the lamp. A tear trickled down my face when I came to accept that everything was a lie.

TWO HOURS EARLIER

Knock! Knock! Knock!

I stood with Justyce by my side waiting for the door to open. Soon enough the white heavy duty door opened and a rush of warm air hit our faces. He greeted us with a perplexed expression while dressed in blue basketball shorts, a wife beater and some white cotton socks.

"Jayda? Justyce. Wassup?"

"Hi dad." Justyce gave Tayvon a hug before walking inside his house. I took a peek inside where I saw Justyce drop her things and run up the stairs.

"I thought I didn't have her until this weekend." He scratched the nape of his neck. He did that whenever he was unsure of something, something Cato does too.

"No you're right you do. Um. It's just I have an urgent run to make and I don't have anyone to watch her."

"So you brought her to me?" He sounded more surprised than mad.

"Yeah. It'll only be for a couple of hours and I'll even keep her an extra day if you do me this favor and watch her while I'm gone."

"That won't be necessary, she's my kid too. I'm just glad you're finally trusting me enough to bring her to me without a courts order." I gave him a fake closed lipped smile. I still don't completely trust Tayvon, but I won't lie, he has shown some improvement and has been showing signs of actually giving a crap about being in Justyce's life. I'm still weighing the good with the bad.

"Thanks. I'll be just a few hours. She just got out of school so she's probably hungry and needs help with homework."

"I got it. See you later Jay." My ears perked at the nickname he used to call me and what Cato started to call me, but stopped just as fast. I swiftly walked down the cement stairs and ran back to the car where CantGetRight was in the driver's seat instead of the passenger where I left him. I just got into the seat and buckled up in my seatbelt.

"Why are you in my seat?" I ran my fingers through my hair before deeply exhaling. I was stressing over this text my betraying boyfriend sent saying he was on his way home and had to tell me something urgent. It sounded like he's about to drop something heavy on me.

"I ain't no bitch. And my hood not finna see me being drove around like some hoe."

"Your hood? I thought we were going to my house?"

"We still is, but first we need a back up system. We don't actually know what the fuck he has planned so we need some machines and some muscle in case the motherfucker tries something."

"Right right." My heart was beating so fast that I had to let down the window to get some air. Was I really about to do this?

We stopped by the 'trap' and CantGetRight gathered only a few of the most trustworthy in the gang to stew up a plan to catch before he escaped Chicago. We conjured up a play in less than ten minutes and before I knew it we were all at my house and getting into our positions. CantGetRight had two guys linger outside for backup.