I

Regulus Black. The boy who was always by himself. He never seemed to smile, never laughed, he never had something funny to say. He looked the way a living statue would, walking around the castle with a monotonous look on his face, a perfect appearance, and the most flat sound of voice. Was he even alive? Many had asked themselves as they watched him walk past them.

You were about to find out he was indeed alive and, even if he wouldn't admit it himself, in much need of a friend.

It was late at night, several hours after dinner, when you found yourself walking to the library for the fourth time that week. You had an herbology essay to write and were in need of a lot of research if you expected a decent grade, for some reason the exact book you were looking for was always taken, and there was only one copy of said book. Just your luck! At that point you didn't even stop to ask for the book, just walking to the shelf where you already knew the book was supposed to be.

"Damn it." you grunted, running your hand over the spines of the books there as you reached the empty space where the book was supposed to be. You lowered your head in exasperation, starting to read over the rest of the titles there to see if one could be of any use. You tilted your head, reading the titles in low murmurs as you walked backwards. "Ouch!" you complained, your hand instantly shooting to the side of your head where the hard feeling of what you saw was a book hit you.

"Are you alright?" asked the boy with a slight furrow of his eyebrows, placing the book he held now on the table as he neared you.

You shook your head lightly, getting the pain out of your head as you gave the boy a soft smile "I'm just fine." you sighed, running a hand through your face as your eyes landed on the table next to you "No way." you muttered in surprise, grabbing the book by the table and holding it to his face "Did you just hit me with Flesh-Eating Trees of the World ?"

Baffled, the boy gave you a nod "I believe so." he said, watching as a smile appeared on your face before he said "I'm... Sorry?"

"Don't be." you mused "You won't be needing this anymore, would you?" you asked, the relieved look on your face as he shook his head making him even more confused but managing to bring the smallest of smiles over his features "Thanks Merlin, I've been looking for this book over four days now."

"I just managed to get it this morning." he told you, your mind finally snapping out of its thoughts and more on the boy next to you.

You tilted your head, looking up at him with a kind smile "Well thank you for hitting the side of my head, I really needed it." you said "And the book, of course." you chuckled "It's Regulus, right? Regulus Black."

He awaited for the inevitable Sirius' younger brother or any kind or relation to his older brother, but when you said nothing and just stared at him waiting for his answer he limited himself to nod.

You offered your hand to him with a kind look "Y/N Y/L/N." you introduced yourself, shaking his hand eagerly once he took hold of yours. "I should be going now, but it was really nice talking to you." you said, grabbing your things and walking away from him. You took one last look at him, waving your hand with a smile as his head followed your movements until you were nowhere to be seen.

His hand felt tingly as if the energy from your person remained in his skin, leaving an almost warm feeling he couldn't quite place but he found himself looking for even more. He wanted to know more about you.

*******

You spent day and night reading the book, your essay nowhere finished as you still struggled with some of the terms there. You furrowed your eyebrows, scratching the back of your head as you turn the page back "What in Merlin's name is that?" you muttered to yourself as you turned yet another page back, looking for the term you knew but didn't remember the meaning of. Your eyes were focused over the pages, running your fingers along the lines as you took your quill and a stray piece of parchment, taking quick notes of all the information you needed to remember.