XXX

Regulus walked through the length of the dirt path, tall green grass that tickled his ankles brushing against his skin as he leaned too much to the left side of the path. It was clear that someone took care of the grand space, flowers kept under good care as they flourished in the warm days of the summer, their perfume mixing in the air to reach the perfect combination of what someone described as the smell of flowers. It seemed too perfect. Like he had stepped through a portal and into a dream land where the scenery was just spotless, and if there ever was a mistake they would shift your attention in the right direction so a bunch of people could step in to fix it before you could notice it. He didn't like it one bit. He wanted chipped cups, messy notebooks, yellow paged books and tea stains on parchment. He didn't want the sun, he wanted a clouded sky. Maybe if he wished hard enough it would happen, the air was growing stronger for the morning and if he stood on his tiptoes and stretched his neck to look over the house and into the distance he could see some grey in the sky.

He was no one to wish for things, it was never of any use. He had to get up and get things done himself.

He brushed his knuckles against the door, before giving three firm taps on it.

The door opened widely, a man with black hair greying on its sides and wrinkles around his eyes standing before him, a tilted look as he blurted one single laugh out. "If I had a sickle for every time a son of Walburga Black has stood at my door," he mumbled with a smile.

"You must be mistaking me for someone else, Mr. Potter," he said politely.

Fleamont Potter raised his chin, taking in the boy at his door. "If you want it to be that way." he winked in his direction, placing his hands behind his back "What can I do for you this fine morning, Mr.?"

The corner of his mouth lifted shortly, pressing his lips in a line before he spoke "I'm here to see James."

"But of course," he said, moving to the side as he invited him inside.

"I think it's best I wait right here." Regulus said.

"Nonsense," Fleamont argued, a hand placed on Regulus' shoulder as he motioned him in "And who should I tell my son is here to see him?" he asked, pushing the door closed as guided him inside.

Regulus hesitated, his mouth open with no answer.

"I'll just tell him someone is here to see him." he said with a kind smile. He guided him to the living room as he left.

The room had windows that faced the outside, large hills that went on and on until he saw them disappear. He felt out of place, left alone in a house he had just first set foot in, with a family he had never met. Were they that trusting? He turned sharply on his spot, the house getting light from all the windows that adorned the walls, the golden rays making the room warm like he had never known. It actually looked like people lived there, frames placed above the fireplace, trophies in the wooden shelves on the corner of the room. The sofas and armchairs he knew- furniture old that usually went down from generation to generation- however these were buried on mismatched pillows, some with patches and others embroideries of different shapes and animals, knitted blankets soft enough to bury his hands in them and watched them disappear.

He had only been in one room and he already felt out of place.

"You have the wrong house."

He heard it, the voice that still plagued him, clear and just at the turn of his head. Regulus froze for a second, his gaze on the window before he slowly faced the voice. "No, I don't."

James stood in the middle of the arch that led to the circular hall of his home, arms crossed over his chest with a frown. He glanced to the ceiling, dropping his arms to his sides as he motioned for Regulus to follow him. They went through the hall, Regulus' eyes following the round stairs that disappeared up and behind him, and went inside the kitchen.