XI

The holidays were over but the cold weather remained. Sitting outside the stairs of the castle entrance, you rubbed your hands together as more snow started falling from the sky. Everything in sight was white and brought you comfort that only the purity of snow could. All one color, cold enough to burn your skin if you played with it for too long, so beautiful yet so dangerous. You were tempted to bury your hand in the small mountain next to your feet.

But the cold hitting your face brought you out of your haze.

"Hey!" you squealed, your voice high from the cold snow sticking to your cheek. You brought your hand up to your face with half a smile as you turned in the direction someone hit you, your smile full once you saw your attacker.

"You were almost drooling over the snow there." Sirius said with a grin "Thought maybe I would give you what you wanted."

"Not funny." you told him, sticking out your tongue in his direction as you cleaned the melted snow with your sleeve.

"Your face says otherwise." he pointed towards you, your smile permanent on your face as he walked closer "Besides, I think James and Peter found it hilarious." he said, his hand rising over your shoulder and behind your back.

"Oh yeah, I bet this is all really amusing for them." you laughed, waving a hand in their direction as Remus was the only one to wave back, the other two still laughing. You could swear they put something in their food, they always had smiles on their faces and life wasn't that funny. At least not yours.

You patted Sirius in the arm, capturing his attention immediately "Watch this." you said, pulling your wand out of your pocket with the most discreet movement. You pointed towards the small mountain of snow where you sat before, murmuring the spell under your breath as it slowly levitated from the ground. You had your entire focus on the spell, your face contorted with concentration as you moved the snow in the air, missing the amazement in Sirius' face as his eyes gleamed with awe. The snow carefully flowed above the heads of James and Peter, the small flakes you couldn't keep in the air falling right over Remus' hair, his grin wide as he saw you, he took a careful step back just right before the snow fell.

Their screams filled the entire courtyard, the two boys buried as their faces emerged from the snow. They looked everywhere, confused faces taking glances at every voice that filled the courtyard with no luck. No one pranked the pranksters, but Sirius had taken hold of your shoulders in time to turn you and make it look like you had been talking all along.

"Thanks." you giggled, moving your hair out of your face.

"They'll get you for that once they found out it was you." he warned, his smile never leaving his face.

"You're telling them?" you asked, fake hurt filling your face as you placed a hand over your chest "Here I thought we were friends."

His eyes widened in surprise, his smile falling slightly for a more genuine one "Are we now?" he asked with some amusement.

"Y/N." you closed your mouth as soon as you heard your name being called, hiding your blush by turning in their direction with a tight smile "The train just got here." they told you with a smile, continuing their way inside the castle as you turned to Sirius.

"I have to go." you whispered to him, squeezing his hand once in response to his nod. You didn't wait to hear if he said anything, knowing you would be fighting yourself to stay or start running towards the station.

And Sirius watched you go, a smile on his face as he turned back to his friends. They were all getting the snow off their heads, murmuring about their secret prankster "We'll get 'em. Just wait." said James with a glint in his eyes.