XXIX

Regulus Black was brought back to the front of the building that led to the entrance of his house on Grimmauld Place. He stood, unbothered to do anything else. All he wanted was to keep his place there, to stare at the stone facade as it changed, while moss grew in the tiny spaces in between the rocks and the crystal on the windows turned white with time.

"Well done, Regulus." It was whispered in his ear, the voice fading as it backed away, the amusement of it lingering on his shoulder. Long fingers made their way all along his back, the feeling waking nothing in him as he just lowered his gaze to the mess of curls that appeared to his side. A grin shone behind the dark hair, gleaming eyes that disappeared in a cloud of black and a fading chuckle.

He didn't go inside his parents home. No, he walked to the park where he met you the previous day, sitting on the bench where he heard your voice for the first time in months, directed at him with no venom dripping from your words.

Kids went and left with smiles, the blooming glee in their faces unknown to him. Couples walked in front of him holding hands, arms thrown over the other, sharing whispers and soft chuckles. Larger groups sat on the grass, laughing and playing, bonding, living. When did his life become this?

When did he choose this?

He lowered his gaze, he accidentally had stared for too long at one person in the distance, black hair and kind dark eyes, a smile dripping with confidence as he neared him. Regulus had held his gaze as soon as he saw him stand, lifting his chin to meet his eyes on his tall frame as he shushed his friends with the wave of his hand and now stood before Regulus.

"Hey man," he greeted softly, turning to take one look at his friends as he smiled at Regulus "You look kinda lonely here, want to join us?" he asked, pointing over his shoulder.

Regulus took one curious glance, seeing the rest of the group waving at him. Standing, he saw the person before him eye to eye. "I was just leaving." he murmured.

They stood there with a shy smile, watching as Regulus walked "That's alright." they said, standing taller as they waved "Cool tattoo, by the way!"

"What?" Regulus asked, turning to him with a frown.

"The tattoo on your arm," he pointed, his eyes looking directly into his forearm "looks cool."

Regulus rushed to lower his eyes, unfolding the sleeves of his shirt quickly as he fled from there. He wanted normalcy, not a reminder.

The door with the number 12 hanged on it appeared as he arrived on the street, his foot tapping on the floor impatiently as he watched the building move. He didn't stay outside to see it all happen like he would have done before, bursting through the door and going directly to the stairs.

"Regulus!" Walburga Black called, surging from the living room with her hands fisted on the skirt of her dress. He didn't stop at the call of his mother, quickening his pace as he took two steps at a time up the stairs. "Regulus Black!" she called again louder, angrier. He could hear the sharp edge on her voice.

Her voice only grew in volume, itching a part of his brain that he had no patience for. It had begun to annoy him since he realised his mother used her voice to control them. He had heard her direct herself to her sister, Druella, with relaxed words and unbothered features. He had heard her talk to her nieces, at least to Bellatrix and Narcissa, with a caring tone he only could dream of. It was only with him that she commanded, she moulded her voice to fit the person she spoke to, and he had grown tired of being the object of her control. He was supposed to be her son. How could she talk to him the same way she talks to their servant?

He stared at the door of his room as heeled boots clicked furiously against the floor, pursing his lips as he swung his head to the side, turning to her when she was just by her side "What do you want?" he snapped.