XIV

You were distracted. Regulus had noticed that much. Two weeks had passed by since his game against Gryffindor and he had taken to himself to watch you closely. At first he was worried, now he was curious. He could feel you were distant, sometimes he would find your eyes lost in the crowd of students or a smile growing on your lips at something only you could figure out from all the voices. You spent more time out after dinner, Regulus finding you walking back to your common room late at night when you had supposedly already gone there. He didn't question you but he wanted to know who this person was who had captured your attention.

Unfortunately, he was certain it had to be a Gryffindor. The presence of the house is always there whenever he notices these changes in your behaviour. He had so many questions and no reason to ask you about it. But he knew he could dig a little with the right words.

"...and I need this one and that one." you said, walking through the shelves of the library with Regulus following you "Can you reach the red one for me?" you asked him, his arm easily going over your head and taking the book you pointed "Thank you." you told him, adding the book to the pile in your arms.

Regulus just observed you, noticing a sweet smell coming from you. Your favorite perfume. You looked the same as always, Ravenclaw uniform neatly worn with a few details of your own design, leather bag hanging from your left shoulder as your body inevitably leaned towards that side due to the weight of all you carried. Your face, your hair, your voice it was all the same but it was all in the details. The perfume, the skip on your step, your more cheerful mood.

"You seem happier." he said, earning a chuckle from you as you returned the book in your hand to the shelf.

"Thank you?" you answered doubtfully. There, no retort to fight him, no sarcastic comment to notice his own gloomy or serious mood.

"I mean it." he told you, trying to look casual about it. He didn't have it in him but he had to try, he's used to being direct but going around things was not his thing. "What's gotten you in such a happy mood lately?"

You made a face at him, leading him towards your table at the library. He took the seat right across from you, facing the entrance of the library as he had always liked to observe the people going in and out of the room. You moved your own chair out and took a seat, dropping the pile of books on the tables' surface.

"Would you believe it's because of you?" you asked with a smile, taking your things out of your bag and placing one by one on the table.

Regulus shook his head, following your movements as he did the same "The fact that you asked me if I would believe you tells me it's not because of me." he stated, resting his back against the chair as he watched you. "And there is a reason because you are making up excuses."

You frowned, hitting the table a little too hard with the spine of your book "I hate that you're so clever sometimes." you muttered bitterly, unknown to Regulus that you were starting to panic. Your leg a jumping mess under the table.

"Why won't you tell me?" he asked. Going around things wasn't working for him, it actually never worked for anyone but he knew that and trying it anyway got on his nerves a little too much. He needed answers.

"Because there is nothing to tell." you said, voice high as you avoided his gaze. You were lying.

"Look at me." he said.

You closed your eyes shut, letting out a single breath as you pressed your lips in a line. Finally you lifted your face, meeting his eyes. He had a relaxed posture, as relaxed as Regulus could get, but he still tilted his head. Oh, he knew what he was doing. He looked approachable and kind, more than usual in your eyes.