XXV

"Didn't you learn anything from the myth of Persephone?" he said, looking back at you. "Don't eat anything unless you plan to stay."

As soon as the words left his mouth you stumbled back, tripping on the chair you had been sitting as you jumped to your feet. Your face became a mix of confusion and hurt, your head spinning as his words replayed inside of your head, echoing in your ears as you shakily looked everywhere around you. "Regulus." you called sternly, lifting your hand in front of you as he too got up from his seat "What is this? What did you do?"

He swallowed hard, taking slow steps towards you each time you backed away "Everything will be alright." he said in a calm voice, reaching his hands in your direction as you shook your head, trying as hard as you could to put distance in between the two of you. "But I need you to be calm and listen to me."

"Right." you scoffed, glancing down at the plate to you right. With one look back at Regulus, you grabbed the plate and threw it in his direction, the sound of ceramic breaking marking your cue to start moving. You didn't wait to see if you had hit your target, running past the chairs around the table you pushed to the floor to prevent him from following you. Regulus called for you once, just as you turned in the door to the long hallway that directed to the door and outside the house. You ran in that direction, not once breaking your gaze from the door as you heard rushed steps following you behind you. You didn't stop to look back, never slowed down to think about what you were doing, the only thought in your mind being that you had to get out of that house. Now.

Just as you reached the door, the cold feeling of the knob on your hand, a relieved smile was drawn on your face as you opened the door, making the mistake of taking one single glance back. Regulus was standing in the middle of the hallway with his eyes locked on your frame. He wasn't even moving.

Your stomach shrinks inside you, a void filling your entire body as your grasp in the doorknob was snatched harshly. An invisible force taking your only way out from you. You rushed to the door once more, fighting with the door to get it to open once more. You pushed and pulled with no luck, the sweat in your palms making your grasp loose and more desperate.

"Leaving so soon?"

Your hands turned to stone on the knob at the icy voice, swallowing the lump in your throat you turned sharply, pushing your body to the corner of the room as you looked to the source of the voice. You didn't need introductions to know who stood above you.

Her hand had a graceful grip on the railing of the stairs, her other hand holding her wand in front of her stomach. She stood like she was being painted, black dress pressed perfectly and fitting her body like she had been the mold for it to be created, back straight and chin up, face completely free for the world to see as her hair was all gathered behind her head in a perfect mix of braids and curls, not one hair out of place. Not one emotion on display. "You haven't greeted your host, Miss." she said, taking one step down, her heels clicking against the wood floors like a clock counting down the seconds. "It's rude to leave in such a hurry." she said standing in front of you, her hands holding both ends of her wand as she twirls it in her grasp.

You felt your entire body tense as her eyes romead over your body, expectant. You wanted to say something, to move, yell and fight your way out, yet your body felt like it would break at the slightest of movements. Your jaw was trapped, hands balled in fists and feet glued to the ground.

"Quiet." she noticed, a soft grin appearing on her face as she pointed her wand and eyes to Regulus "She might not be so bad after all." She cocked her head in your direction, "Take her wand. She won't be needing it here."

Regulus took one glance at his mother before he began to move, walking to your side as he waited two seconds for you to move.

His proximity woke you up from your initial shock, glaring up at him when he reached for your right arm, pulling your sleeve up to reveal your wand stocked in there. With one soft movement he took it out, handing it to the awaiting open palm of his mother.