VIII

"You have all of your things?" you asked him, arms intertwined as you walked all the way to the train. It was a cold morning, your voice turning into a cloud of breath each time you muttered a word. Small snowflakes filled the air as some landed on top of your head and the reddish parts of your cheeks. Your eyes turned from Regulus to the top of your nose where one small flake settled, the only thing pulling you from the haze of the light snowfall being Regulus chuckle at your side. You pursed your lips in amusement as you blew some air, the little hairs falling out of your hat moving with the motion. "Stop." you chuckled.

He shook his head, eyes glued to the front with his chin up all the time. It was impossible to get Regulus in nothing but perfection. Perfect posture. Perfect words. Perfect grades. Perfect imperfections.

"You keep getting those flakes off your face." he laughed, his eyes sparkling as he glanced at you "Ten more will take their place."

You narrowed your eyes at him, using your hand to shake the snowflakes off your face, scrunching your nose as shivers ran down your spine at the cold feeling of the snow melting against your skin "They get in my eyes." you murmured, shaking your head in defeat "But don't change the subject! Do you have all of your stuff?" you asked again, eyes falling to the small suitcase on his other hand "You're going for two weeks, you know?" you asked him incredulously.

He nodded his head in acknowledgement, not saying a word as you shrugged your shoulders, holding tightly to his arm as you both approached the train.

Few students were left near you, the small crowds there boarding all together as the train started to make more noise and the vapor in the sky clouded, the train announcing itself it was almost time to go.

You pulled Regulus' arm, stopping his steps a few feet from the door. He was standing right in front of you, lowering his suitcase to the floor as he placed his free hand over yours holding onto his arm. No words were exchanged as you both stared at each other, your eyes saying more than either of you could muster with words. But still, words were needed.

"Have fun." you told him, your voice turning to your imitation of a mom voice, making him roll his eyes. "I mean it." you said, pointing a finger at him "You will go home and be happy because it's christmas. You'll enjoy it with your family, eat all the food you can, and get your presents." you said with a smile. "Of course, the first few days you can be miserable because I'm not with you..."

"Right." he scoffed, shaking his head.

"...even cry a little. I will be waiting for your tear stained letters."

And then the silence fell between the two of you again. Were you supposed to feel that emotional? Was he feeling the same tightness in his chest? You felt your lower lip start to tremble, the hopeful thought that it was your imagination or the cold air disappearing as he tilted his head. His eyes were almost guilty as they followed every movement of your face.

"Y/N..." he started to say but you raised your hand to his chest, turning your face to the side as you used your sleeve to wipe the few tears that started to pool on your eyes.

"Don't." you laughed, voice raspy as you let out more breathy laughs "Merlin, turn around while I compose myself." you told him, using your hand to push him away.

You should have known he already had a secure grasp on your wrist, your attempt to push away useless as he pulled towards him. It took you one word from him to wrap your arms around his chest, his arms holding you close to him as he rested his chin on top of your head, the light sounds of your crying only audible to him.

"You know I'm coming back, right?" he asked. There was no teasing in his voice, no joke, no attempt at humour. You nodded your head against his chest, tightening your hold on him. "It's not even two weeks, I'll be back before you even know it."