Deuteronomy 8:18

Disclaimer: I don't know shit about civil engineering.

John's p.o.v.

You shall remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your fathers, as it is this day

I sat in a waiting room, dressed to meet the big boss of this branch of Walton & company. I tug at the tie around my neck, trying to loosen it. This suit made me feel like a fraud. The receptionist keeps glancing in my direction which was freaking me out. Maybe she could tell that I didn't belong in a place like this. I wasn't college educated and I didn't come from a sophisticated family and on top of that I was barely a legal adult. She was likely questioning my belonging. She was definitely right. I was probably in way over my head here. The idea that I could maintain some white collar job and take care of Vanitas and myself so easily is nothing more than wishful thin-

"Hey."

The sound of Luca's voice snaps me from my thoughts. I glance up to see him poking his head out from the regional managers office. He waves me inside, prompting me to stand up and walk inside while trying not to look unprofessional. I glance in the receptionist's direction once more to notice her gaze discreetly following me all the way until I was inside the office.

"Finn...I'd like to introduce you to Johnathan Serafino." Luca gestures to me.

The boss was a heavy set man with salt and peppery hair. Perhaps in his mid forties.

"The man himself." Finn...the big boss comments. "I don't mean to offend but how did you get a last name as ostentatios as that?"

"My family has...Italian roots." I answer whilst taking a seat at one of the chairs opposite him and his desk.

"That would explain that. Anyway it's nice to finally meet you John. I'm Finneas Romero as you may well know."

"You as well, Mr. Romero." I bow. Why the fuck did I just bow? This isn't Japan. I have the social skills of an autistic eight year old.

"Luca here has told me quite a lot about you. Has he said anything about me?"

"He's told me that you're extremely perceptive, that you're passionate and an extremely serious business man." I say honestly.

"That's right. I take this company very seriously." Mr. Romero replies. "Which is why I called you in here today. We have a very serious legal issue on our hands and you're at the center of it, Johnathan."

"H-huh?" I glance over to Luca who was wearing an extremely serious expression.

"I'm sorry to have to do this to you but I've already contacted the authorities and they're on their way up to arrest you." Mr. Romero continues.

I stand from the chair abruptly."Arrest me!? Arrest me for what?"

"Honestly Johnathan, did you think someone like me wouldn't notice what you did? Guys like you get a lot of time in prison you know."

My brain goes into full on panic mode.

"Look Mr. Romero, I-I don't know what you think I did but I would never intentionally do anything to hurt or...or-or defame this company in any way." I say pacing uncontrollably. "I don't really think I'm any kind of asset but I'm too grateful for the opportunity to actually try to-"

Before I can finish my sentence both Mr. Romero and Luca burst into fits of laughter.

"We're just messing with you, man." Mr. Romero wheezes out, tears forming in his eyes from the hysterics.

It takes a moment for the shock to wear off but once it does I exhale and practically collapse back into my chair.

"Oh my god. You both scared the shit outta me." I confess.

"Sorry. It's just that you were being so uptight and calling me Mr. Romero that I couldn't resist. Just call me Finn."

"Luca, you rat bastard. Where you planning to do this the whole week?" I ask.

"Nah, I was just fucking with you to make you nervous. That bit was just something he came up with on the spot."

I throw my hands over my face in embarrassment. "Fuck both of you guys."

"Aww, it was all in good fun though." Mr. Rome-er-Finn says. "But let's get to the actual reason for this meeting. John, shortly after you were officially hired we put you on a project. Do you remember?"

"Uhh...yeah." I say. "The Barber road project. What about it?"

"That project doesn't actually exist." Luca informs.

"...What?"

"That project is a test we give to new-comers." Finn continues. "How it works is that you're assigned to complete an impossible task as best you can. It's supposed to measure your ability to get the best possible outcome."

"The regulations you have to follow on that project create a paradox where if you solve one problem it automatically creates another no matter what you do." Luca explains.

"Yes and it takes most people a month or so to finish but you finished it in half that time which is usually a sign that someone ignored some of the regulations." Finn adds

"Oh. Sorry. I'm still pretty new to this so if I messed up..." I apologize.

"No. John you did flawlessly." Luca corrects.

"Huh?"

"You somehow found a loophole in the regulations and did a perfect job without any legal compromise. John...you completed an impossible task. "

"I did?" I question.

"Have you ever heard of the Dunning Kruger effect?" Finn asks.

"I'm sorry...I haven't."

"Basically it's the idea that stupid people think that they're geniuses and genius think they're stupid." Finn explains.

"John...the entire time I've been training you, you picked up on things way faster than I was expecting." Luca places a hand on my shoulder and gives a small excited shake. "At first I thought maybe it was because I was a good teacher but after I saw your sketches... You keep second guessing yourself and I can tell that you think you're in over your head here but you're actually just really fuckin' smart."

"What? But I had so much trouble in school." I explain.

"Lots of intelligent people do. But tell me this... Was it because you didn't understand or because you couldn't pay attention or be bothered to complete tedious tasks."

"I-"

My brain suddenly thinks back and I recall having a difficult time paying attention and occasionally just plain ignoring my homework but I never once asked anyone for help...ever.

"Huh..." I say in realization.

"John, I want you and Luca to continue to work together but if you can keep doing things like what you did with the Barber road project you both will be on the fast track to promotion." Finn informs.

"Wait are you serious?" I ask incredulously.

"Not usually but yeah." Finn assures.

"I don't know what to say."

"That in itself is enough. You just make sure to do me and this company proud." Finn extends his hand.

"I will." I say, standing to shake his hand enthusiastically.