The left eye

John's p.o.v.

Two weeks before the end of the school year left to go. Pretty soon it'd be applying to colleges and job searching for all the seniors. I didn't really have big dreams after highschool. I just want to make ends meet and live my life. People yearn so much for a sense of significance in their life that they end up chasing it forever...and those lucky enough to obtain it either can't handle it or are left broken when they lose it. All I know is that I'm here, I have a family I love and no extravagant extracurricular responsibilities and that was significant enough for me but I digress. I'm just gonna go to a basic collage, get a basic degree and get a half decent job. My old man likely wouldn't approve but was I honestly cut out for greatness?

I just stroll down the halls with an "I don't care, end of the year" attitude. I really won't miss much about highschool. The judgmental peers, the flawed curriculum, the corrupt school system...sayonara.

I'm coming up to a corner but slow my steps when I hear whispering from familiar voices. Something told me not to make my presence known to whoever was trying to keep a secret. I discreetly peek around the corner and there Roman is, with his usual friends.

"Roman, are you serious?" His dark haired friend questions.

"Yeah." Roman answers with absolute certainty. "I'm gonna get him alone at the dance and tell him I love him with this."

A ring? It obviously wasn't made from any precious materials but it almost seemed like he was planning a proposal

"Roman." The brunette friend starts. "I've never heard you say that you loved anyone other than your parents."

"I've never loved anyone before...not like this. Tell your sister no offense Josh."

"You kidding? She'll be ecstatic to hear that you found someone you love. We're all happy for you, dude."

Roman blushes and smiles sheepishly. "Van is...a lot more than I expected. Turns out he's a lot more empathetic and careing than I would've imagined. He just need the right guy to help him realize that there's nothing wrong with his feelings. That's why I'm going to be sure that we go to the same collage."

My blood was boiling. Wait. No. I don't care. I don't give a fuck. This has nothing to do with me. Van can spend the rest of his life being a fag if he wanted.

I take a deep breath and walk away. The thought of Van in some far off collage dorm room alone with him crosses my mind. I barely manage to suppress the urge to slam my fist into something.

'Van is nothing to me. It doesn't matter.' I tell myself. 'If he's happy then...'

I kill the thought before it finishes. I just head to my next class.