fulfilling the whole of the law

Vanitas' p.o.v.

"So I don't think I've ever formally introduced my friends to you." Roman says.

We were at school on our lunch period seated in the classroom of one of Roman's teachers. Apparently he and the teacher were so cool with eachother that she had no problem letting him use the room while she was away. This was a very fortunate development because I couldn't openly hang out with roman or most other people with my brother and sister around the school.

"This is my friend, Mark." Roman gestures to a brunette boy with mischief written on his face. "He's a vintage asshole."

I recognize him as the one that talked shit about my brother the other day so Roman's description was probably accurate.

"At least I'm vintage." Mark shrugs. "What're you...like a hipster or something?"

Roman just laughs and shakes his head.

"This is Joshua." Roman points to a raven haired boy. "He seems normal but believe us when we tell you that he's crazy."

Joshua just smirks and shrugs his shoulders, having nothing to add.

Roman then gestures to a girl I had never seen him around previously. "This is Josh's sister, Karen."

"I'm also Roman's ex but I guess it's too much of an embarrassment to address to the current lover-friend." Karen says, pretending to be passive aggressive.

"Ugh, you know you were a great girlfriend but w-"

"We're better off as friends." Karen quotes. "I'm just fucking with you." She punches Roman in the arm.

Roman rolls his eyes. "These are my closest friends."

"Nice to meet you all." My voice shakes with a deep nervousness I didn't know I was feeling. I wasn't used to...friends.

"So can we start by adressing the elephant in the room?" Karen asks rhetorically. "What's it like being a closeted member of the church of Azrael of all thing?"

"Really, Karen?" Joshua reprimands.

"What? We all want to hear his experience so I asked."

Joshua just sighs before all eyes fall on me in expectation.

"Uhhh?".

"You don't have to answer if you don't want to." Roman assures. "It's your story to tell when you feel like telling it." He had a sincerity in his eyes that couldn't be fabricated.

I sigh. "It's...it's difficult as one would suspect. It get's difficult to tell the difference between my family's opinions and bible scriptures. Everytime we go out to protest and we're shouting how 'God hates fags' it's hard to hear them say it...knowing that they're talking about me. It's hard to hear myself say it...knowing that...I'm talking about me."

"Wow." Mark says in mild shock. "That's some heavy shit."

"Yeah." Karen adds. "I couldn't even imagine...but...if you ever feel alone, there are plenty of people you can talk to. Of course all of us will be ready to listen at a moments notice...in case you had any doubts."

I'm shocked to hear her say that...and I realized that I shouldn't have been, but...

I start laughing, leaving them all totally perplexed. When the tears start streaming down my cheeks.

"Vanitas?" Roman asks in worried confusion.

"Sorry. I just...this is the first time I've had a friend in so long that I'd completely forgotten what it was like to be in the company of supportive people. That's literally so sad that it's comical."

I wipe the tears from my face and roman wraps his arms around me to make sure that I'm okay.

"You don't have to worry." I assure. "I'm fine."

"Really?" Roman asks, loosening his embrace.

I nod my head.

"You had us really scared there for a second."

"I'm a tough guy. I just have to get used to being...like everyone else." I say.

"Well you'll get plenty of experience next week." Mark haphazardly comments.

"What happens next week?" I question.

Roman, Karen and Joshua all flash look at Mark that translated as 'nice going, asshole'.

"Whoops." Mark averts their gazes.

"Am I missing something?" I ask.

Roman sighs. "It was supposed to be a surprise but I'm throwing a party next week."

"Oh. Sorry."

"It's fine. You likely would've found out sooner or later. Initially it was going to be something small but I decided to go all out since you're coming now."

"But if everyone sees me there it could ruin the mood or people will start to talk. It could get back to my family." I say.

"I thought of that." Roman smirks. "That's why it's gonna be pharma-masquerade."

"A what?"

"An amalgamation between a pharm party and masquerade." Joshua trys to explain.

"I don't know what three of the things you just said are." I say with the most lost expression.

Karen shakes her head. "A pharm party is a party where people have to bring a pill in order to get in and a masquerade is a party where everyone wears a fancy mask. Roman seems to think that combinding the two will make the party seem more mysterious."

"What's the point of the pills?" I ask.

"When the party reaches full swing we pass the pill bowl around and everyone can take a random pill...which is completely optional." Karen assures.

"Uhhh..." I say nervously.

"Don't worry." Roman assures. "Everyone only ever brings stuff like asprin and alergy medication. Nobody will get hurt. But...if you don't like the idea I can just cancel the whole thing."

"No. You don't have to do that." I assure, trying not to let my concerns impeded Roman's plans. On top of that I couldn't bring myself to reject a party planned specifically so I could socialize in a public setting.

"Are you sure?" Roman questions further.

"I'm certain." I state.

"Great!" Roman smiles. "Now that we're all on board, we can plan it a bit more openly."

"Yeah but you can't let anyone know that Vanitas is coming." Karen reminds. "That'd end badly for him."

"Duely noted on everyone's part, right?" Roman asks.

Karen, Joshua and mark all nod in agreement.

"I can't wait to make this happen." Roman kisses my forehead affectionately.

I smile but something in my gut told me that this might be a bad idea.