ocho | meanwhile (pt. 2)

Alex | chapter 8

At past midnight, I still couldn't find the right words to say so I left my room, walked down the stairs and went into the kitchen to get a glass of water. As I took out a bottle from the fridge, a scuffle from behind me woke up all my senses.

"Mijo, is something wrong?" My mom emerged from behind the refrigerator door as I closed it.

"Holy—  mom, don't sneak up on me like that. I could've mistaken you for a robber."

She gave me an unamused expression, "You better thank Padre Nuestro you didn't, I would've pinched your ears red if you did."

Sometimes, she's kidding, most times, she actually does pinch my ears —even when I'm already almost 29. I still live with my parents, they never kicked me out or seem to care that I still live with them. Maybe because they move back to Mexico every now and then. Though I'm starting to think they want me to move out permanently because they've been bugging me to get a girlfriend so I can get married already. They know I'm not ready for that yet.

Mexican families do like to live together. Personally, I like that too so moving out never really came to me. Now that I'm older, I'm glad to help out with the expenses, contrary to what I said in that one video where I said it wasn't my responsibility. My mom likes to baby me a lot since I'm the youngest. That's funny in a way because I am old enough to have kids myself, but I don't really mind because it makes her happy.

She reads into my long face and pulls me in for a hug. She stroke my hair and pat my back. "Mom, how do you apologize to a girl you hurt?"

She broke off our embrace and gave me a look of confusion which turned into surprise then to scorn, "This is why I still don't have any grandchildren from you. What did you do?"

"Nothing, but I may or may not have hurt a girl's feelings and need to apologize?" She rubbed her temples and pinched my arm, "Ow, mom, that hurt."

"Oh, Alexis. This is why you need to take a break from your work sometimes and get out like I tell you to," she sighed. "Just tell her you're sorry, explain yourself, give her flowers, and sing her a song or something."

This time, it was my turn to rub my temples, "Mom, I'm not dating this girl. She's just an acquaintance."

"And what's wrong with giving an acquaintance flowers and singing her a song?"

I opened mouth to speak but closed it again. There was nothing wrong with it but wouldn't that make things more awkward? I mean, I just yelled to her face and then I send her flowers like fucking two-faced, fickle creep? I don't even know where she is so that's not a valid option.

I shook my head and smiled at my mom. She still had the same look on her face but she gave me a hug anyway. "No matter what it is, you'll know what to do, mijo." We parted ways by the hallway and I was about to close the door when she yelled to me, "Flowers and a song, Alexis, okay? Finally put that talent of yours to good use, please."

I laughed to myself, slowly shaking my head in amusement. She's heard my songs, my diss tracks, my songs about random shit like lice and being choked at the grocery. She doesn't think they're bad, she's just 'skeptical about the way I use my musical abilities.'

As I deliberated on my bed, my eyes were about to give out and I wasn't thinking straight. It might be better to just leave it be and let it cool down overnight, then hope I get ideas on what to do and then do something before she condemns me to my grave.

Normally, I find it hard to sleep when I know someone's upset with me or I fought with someone else. It happened before with Aksel. But right now, I'm so fucking tired and I might say something wrong and make things worse if I send her something right now while my brain is being a goddamn brat.