diecisiete | meetup (pt. 3)

Dawn | meetup (pt. 3)

So— yeah.

I didn't faint.

I cannot begin to stress how relieving that is, quite frankly.

You put up a good neural fight, Dawn, you put up a good neural fight.

I give myself an imaginary pat on the back as I watched Alex talking animatedly to the camera. He was obviously excited even though he's admitted to not having the slightest idea what he's doing. I laughed remembering his panicked face.

After a few minutes of briefing and introduction, they immediately started the shoot so they can film with natural light. We weren't on a secluded street, it was actually quite busy —passing cars, people— but not too busy that we were swarmed by them, being full of YouTube celebrities and all. Weekdays meant most of the population is likely at their work places or schools, there were still a good number of bystanders watching everything unfold though. They were orderly staying behind the line MrBeast's crew set up, cheering on their favorite group.

There were 3 teams, all assigned their own color, each with one random MrBeast subscriber. From my left, Chandler was on red, Chris and Nolan on yellow, Karl and Alex on blue.

Together with the subscriber, they are manning a MrBeast 'restaurant' —more like a kiosk— selling every MrBeast food item ever made in the past 10 years. They had their own stall set up: a table with ingredients, an area to cook, an ice cream machine... It looked like a mini version of a McDonald's, when you strip it of its walls, doors, and windows that is.

If I understood correctly, they had to attempt to outsell the other teams. The team that gets the most sales at the end of the day wins the MrBeast restaurant that's going to be built in the empty lot we were currently at. It's going to be the first one that doesn't have Jimmy as the sole proprietor, probably the only MrBeast franchise there ever will be.

What's difficult about it is that they literally sell the exact same food so the only real competition between them is how they present it, sell it, and, of course, the taste of it.

I sat at the far end, where they settled some of their equipment and belongings. Jimmy was very welcoming, I was given my own chair and everything. I felt a little subconscious being the only one who isn't part of the crew staying on the other side of the yellow line and the only one sitting down because these go-getters were up and about, busying themselves with their assigned duty.

So to make myself useful, I busied myself with organizing the ticket stubs that they were going to distribute to the people spectating while patiently observing every team as they began cooking. Karl and Alex were with a young boy, who was maybe 16 years old. MrBeast approached their stall and asked, "How is your team gonna win against red and yellow?"

"We got a secret weapon, Jimmy," Karl said. "These nimrods don't stand a chance!" He yelled loud enough so even Chandler on the other side of the lot could hear.

When MrBeast left, likely to ask a similar question to the other teams, I hear Alex tell Karl and Nash, "Okay, team, one bite from our burger better make people go to Heaven or you can kiss your place in this kitchen goodbye."

"Take your jacket off and fuck off," Alex and Karl turned to the youngest boy simultaneously, their eyes wide.

"Well I— listen here, you doughnut, only I can say that line in this kitchen and you respond with 'yes, chef,'" Alex fired back. Karl's high-pitched laugh pierced the air as his two teammates bickered. Alex muttering that this was the reason he didn't want children.