trece | the apology

Dawn | the apology

I didn't hear from Alex for 3 days and by then I thought he'd already forgotten about the little meetup he planned. Half of me didn't expect much, he's a busy guy, but the other half hoped he was serious because, well, 4 reasons.

One, I'll finally be meeting Alex! The Alex Quackity, that'll be an item on my bucket list crossed off.

Two, I'll be meeting a friend —an actual tangible friend. I miss going out, having fun, doing random things under the sun with my people, but there's only so little we can do because we're so far apart. I can't exactly swim across the Pacific Ocean every chance I can or magically make international flights cheaper.

Three, I'll leave the house and go somewhere that isn't the hospital or the supermarket. How cool is that? Maybe not so special in other people's perspective but that's a rift in my stagnant life.

Four, just 2 words: golden weekend.

It was only the day before the 10th at exactly 11:30 a.m. that I heard from Alex again. Strangely enough, it wasn't a dm, a letter, or another note with a bizarre gift. It was a song.

He wasn't in his usual setup, the background was different and the lighting was brighter. All I could see was the white wall of his room and the white chair that didn't seem to change over the years.

He appears from the left of the screen and sat down, his guitar in tow. He tucks hair away from his forehead and into his beanie, "I'm so fucking sweaty," he laughs. "You might be wondering, 'Quackity, what are you doing sitting like you got a stick up your ass'? Well, I fucking don't— fuck it." He licks his lips as his demeanor changes, his shoulders slightly slumped, less tense, and calmer somehow. "This," he breathes in, "this is Alex," his voice was so much deeper, without an ounce of mischief to it. "I'm sure you've all heard about what happened on the Love or Host last month, where I was— I was a huge motherfucker. I want to finally address the issue after keeping silence for so fucking long. I'm sorry to my audience, to the people who were watching the stream, to Austin, Minx, and the other girls. I'm so sorry, guys. And I'm so sorry, to my new friend—" then came his first strum.

For 2 and a half minutes, I sat with my hands over my mouth, swayed by his voice, moved by his words, and touched by his melody. The way the words rolled out his tongue, his changes in pitch, the slow strumming— especially how his face would change with his emotions. It was, easily, one of the most heartfelt songs I've ever listened to.

It was beautiful.

At the strike of the last chord on his guitar, he opened his eyes and looked straight at the camera. "This apology is overdue. Practically, you are a great friend, you are kindness in its human form. I'm sorry and thank you for seeing Alex," he smiles.

If I had known he'd be releasing this, I would've prepared a handkerchief or a box of tissues at least. There was so much sincerity but also so much regret in his eyes, it almost hurt me to see him that way.

There go my lacrimal glands, overproducing again. You better stop before your nose releases an impossible amount of watery discharge, Dawn. You know how hard it is to work when you're a sniffling mess.

Quackity
hey
11:33 AM

You
It was beautiful.
11:33 AM

Thank you.
11:33 AM

Quackity
i really am sorry for being
a huge dick to you
11:34 AM