Chapter 10: A Down Dragon Is A Dead Dragon

Clara, Carol, Malissa, Sugar Plum Cookie, and Clarity heard what he said as they gasped.

Sugar Plum Cookie: Stoick the Vast, how dare you?!

Malissa: That is so unholy of you.

Carol: Ridiculous utterly ridiculous!

Clara: Hiccup just made friends with a dragon and you called him a TRAITOR?!

Hiccup was shocked that the Dawns are defending him and the dragons while Toothless growled at the chief.

Stoick: What's with that?! Dragons are beasts!

Clara: Don't you dare!

Before the chief was about to reply, the village elder whacks his head with the stick and glared at him.

Stoick: What is wrong with you?

Gothi looks at the Dawns for their permission, and they nod before she proceeds to sit at the other side. Gobber then stood up and followed her as well.

Stoick: Gobber, what are you doing?

Gobber didn't reply as he sat next to Gothi. To the teens' surprise, Fishlegs is also joining the other side and sat next to Astrid.

Hiccup: I'm glad to have you by my side.

Fishlegs smiled and the Vikings were dumbfounded. Clara then calms down.

Clara: Alright. Since some of the people are siding with the dragons, let's get back, okay?

Gobber: ...And with one twist, he took my hand, and swallowed it whole. And I saw the look on his face: I was delicious. He must have passed the word, because it wasn't a month before another one of them took my leg.

The Vikings rolled their eyes while the dragons gagged.

Hiccup: Gobber, they're not into human meat, okay?

Gobber blushed in embarrassment.

Fishlegs: Isn't it weird to think that your hand was inside a dragon? Like if your mind was still in control of it, you could have killed the dragon from the inside by... crushing his heart, or something.

Fishlegs felt ashamed of what he is saying until Meatlug approaches him to comfort him making him uncomfortable.

Snotlout: I swear, I'm so angry right now! I'll avenge your beautiful hand and your beautiful foot. I'll chop off the legs of every dragon I fight. With my face!

Carol: Pfft. In your dreams.

Snotlout glared at her.

Gobber: Un-unh. It's the wings and the tails you really want. If it can't fly, it can't get away. A downed dragon is a dead dragon.

Hiccup glanced at Gobber then at Toothless as the Night Fury was confused.

Gobber (cont.): Alright. I'm off to bed. You should be, too. Tomorrow we get to the big boys. Slowly but surely making our way up to the Monstrous Nightmare. But who'll win the honor of killing it?

Tuffnut: It's gonna be me. It's my destiny. See?

Fishlegs: (Gasp) Your Mom let you get a tattoo?

Tuffnut was busted.

Tuffnut: It's not a tattoo. It's a birthmark.

Ruffnut: Okay, I've been stuck with you since birth, and that was never there before.

Tuffnut: Yes, it was. You've just never seen me from the left side until now.

Hiccup: You knew what I was going to?

Astrid: I was curious but I decided to brush it off.

[After hearing what Gobber said about how a dragon is unable to fly with injured tail or wings, Hiccup heads to the forge late at night, and makes a new tail-fin for Toothless to replace the one the Night Fury lost.]

Gobber was amazed by Hiccup's invention and he wanted to quit for him.

Astrid: Hiccup, you're left-handed?

Hiccup: Well, I usually use both hands but I prefer using my left hand.

Astrid then smiled.

Clara: Alright! We are now in the middle of the event, I'd say we have to turn for the night because it's getting late.

Hiccup: I agree with her. Let's go get some dinner before sleep.

Everyone went to the dining hall and ate their dinner in silence. Afterward, everyone went to the sleeping chambers the Dawn twins gave them. And tonight, that will be a fun night between Hiccup and Astrid.