Chapter 28: I'm Not Ready

[A dragon screech catches their attention. Astrid and Stormfly land on the island and enter the scene.]

Hiccup holds Astrid's hand and Astrid lays her head on her shoulder.

[Toothless runs over excitedly to greet Stormfly.]

Hiccup: Afternoon, milady. Where have you been?

Astrid: Well, winning races. What else? The real question is... where have YOU been?

Hiccup: Avoiding my dad.

Astrid: Oh, no. What happened now?

The teens were confused but the chief does not.

Hiccup: Oh, you're gonna love this. I wake up. The sun's shining. Terrible Terrors are singing on the rooftop.

Tuffnut: Terrors can sing?

One of the Terrors flew in the front to prove it and starts to sing earning irritating people who are covering their ears.

Tuffnut: Okay, okay, okay! You can stop now!

The Terror pouted in frustration as it flew back to its seat.

Clara: That dragon didn't realize that some of us are sensitive to loud noises.

Carol agreed.

Hiccup (cont.): I saunter down to breakfast, thinking all is right with the world and I get: (Imitating Stoick) "Son, we need to talk."

The Vikings chuckled.

Astrid: (Imitates Hiccup) "Not now, Dad. I've got a whole day of goofing off to get started."

Both Thorston and Dawn twins burst to laugh and Astrid glared at them and herself for being giggly.

Hiccup: Okay, first of all, I don't sound like that. What is this character? And second... what is that thing you're going with my shoulders?

Hiccup: A truly flattering impersonation. Anyway he goes: (Imitating Stoick) "You're the pride of Berk, son, and I couldn't be prouder..."

Snotlout: Pride of Berk? That sounds ridiculous.

Just then, another sandbag busts in.

Astrid: (Imitates Hiccup talking to his dad) "Aw, thanks, Dad. I'm pretty impressed with myself, too."

Everyone chuckled again.

Hiccup: (Laughing) WHEN have I ever done that with my hands?

Astrid: You just did.

Astrid: Huh, Deja Vu.

Hiccup: Okay... just... hold still. It's very serious.

Everyone quiet down knowing it was serious.

Hiccup: "You're all grown up, and since no chief could ask for a better successor, I've decided--"

Everyone gasped realizing what he's talking about.

Astrid: (Cuts Hiccup off; excited) TO MAKE YOU CHIEF! Oh, my gods! Hiccup, that's amazing!

[Astrid Punches Hiccup hard in the chest. His fin pops out. Hiccup grunts and Astrid laughs. He then winds the fin back into his flight suit.]

Hiccup: You're gonna wear out the spring coil. The calibration is very sensitive!

[Toothless and Stormfly come running past chasing each other and knock over Astrid and Hiccup.]

Hiccup: Yeah, so... this is what I'm dealing with.

Astrid: What did you tell him?

Hiccup: I didn't. By the time he turned around, I was gone.

Stoick sighed.

Stoick: As always.

Astrid: Well, it's a lot of responsibility. The map will have to wait for sure, and I'll need to fly Toothless, since you'll be too busy...

[Astrid realizes what she just said.]

Hiccup: You do realize that I'm not ready, you know?

Stoick pointed out that his son was right.

Hiccup: It's not me, Astrid. All those speeches, and planning, and running the village... that's his thing.

Astrid: I think you're missing the point. I mean, chief. What an honor. I'd be pretty excited.

Hiccup: I'm not like you. You know exactly who you are. You always have. But... I'm still looking. I know that I'm not my father... and I never met my mother.... so, what does that make me?

Valka starts to worry as her son mentions to her that they never met before.

[Hiccup sits down and gazes off into space. Astrid sits down beside him and starts braiding his hair.]

Astrid: What you're searching for... isn't out there, Hiccup.

[Astrid puts her hand to Hiccup's chest.]

Astrid (cont.): It's in here. Maybe you just don't see it yet.

[Astrid kisses Hiccup's cheek but pulls back with Toothless' spit on her face. Disgusted, she tries to wipe it off.]

Astrid glared at the Night Fury who coos at her for forgiveness.

Hiccup: Maybe. But, y'know... there is something out there.

Astrid: Hiccup...

[He grabs Astrid's chin and points her straight ahead of them, showing her a large cloud of smoke.]

Valka: This is not good.