Chapter 21: Mistakes That Can Fix

Hiccup woke up with a massive headache.

Hiccup: God. After that event last night, I suddenly have headaches.

Hiccup soon witnessed a small capsule next to a cup of water and a note saying that it was a medicine for his headaches. He swallowed the capsule and drank water. Suddenly, Clara called out again for breakfast waking Astrid up in the process. They got out of their room and went to the dining hall where they only met the Dragon Lovers and Berkian Children along with some dragons.

Clara: Morning, Hiccup. Are you feeling okay now?

Hiccup: Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks for bringing me the medicine that you called.

Carol: No prob.

The grownups entered the room and greeted the others before eating. Stoick glanced at his son as Hiccup glared at him and left to eat. Stoick is so disappointed. Meanwhile, Valka is worried. After breakfast, everyone went back to the theater and continue watching the future. Hiccup was now sitting with his mother.

Stoick: Set sail! We head for Helheim's Gate.

Hiccup sighs.

Stoick (cont.): (To a chained Toothless) Lead us home, Devil.

Astrid: It's a mess. You must feel horrible. You've lost everything. Your father, your tribe, your best friend...

Carol: Wow, way to make a pep talk.

Clara: And I thought that Gobber is the only one who's not good at pep talks.

Hiccup: Thank you for summing that up. Why couldn't I have killed that dragon when I found him in the woods? It would have been better for everyone.

Astrid: Yep. The rest of us would have done it. So why didn't you?... Why didn't you?

Snotlout was interested in the question.

Hiccup: I don't know. I couldn't.

Astrid: That's not an answer.

Hiccup: Why is this so important to you all of a sudden?

Astrid: Because I want to remember what you say, right now.

Hiccup: Oh, for the love of-- I was a coward! I was weak! I wouldn't kill a dragon!

Astrid: You said "wouldn't" that time.

Fishlegs started to agree.

Hiccup: Whatever! I wouldn't! Three hundred years, and I'm the first Viking who wouldn't kill a dragon!

Hiccup: Maybe I'm not the first one somehow.

Valka snickered as she rubbed her son's hair.

Astrid: First to ride one, though. So...?

Hiccup: ...I wouldn't kill him because he looked as frightened as I was. I looked at him, and I saw myself.

Snotlout: That was the stupid question I ever heard.

Astrid: I bet he's really frightened now. What are you going to do about it?

Hiccup: Eh, probably something stupid.

Gobber: Oh-ho, you shouldn't say that.

Astrid: Good. But you've already done that.

Hiccup: Then something crazy!

Astrid: That's more like it!

Astrid then smiled.