Chapter 20: You're not my son

Stoick: I should have known. I should have seen the signs.

Clara: What signs?

Hiccup: Dad--

Stoick: We had a deal!

Hiccup: Yeah, right.

Hiccup: I know we did... But that was before... Ugh, it's all so messed up!

Stoick: So everything in the ring... A trick?! A lie?

Hiccup: I screwed up. I should have told you before now. Take this out on me, be mad at me, but please... just don't hurt Toothless.

Stoick: The dragon? That's what you're worried about? Not the people you almost killed?!

Hiccup: Why of course! What's with that?!

Hiccup: He was just protecting me! He's not dangerous.

Stoick: They've killed HUNDREDS OF US!

Hiccup: AND WE'VE KILLED THOUSANDS OF THEM!

Everyone flinched.

Hiccup (cont.): They defend themselves, that's all! They raid us because they have to! If they don't bring enough food back, they'll be eaten themselves. There's something else on their island, Dad... it's a dragon like--

Hiccup covered his mouth in realization.

Stoick: --Their island? So you've been to the nest.

Hiccup: Did I say nest?

Stoick: How did you find it?!

Hiccup: No... I didn't. Toothless did. Only a dragon can find the island.

Hiccup: NOOO!!! ME AND MY BIG MOUTH!!!

Fishlegs started to freak out.

Hiccup (cont.): Oh, no, no. Dad, no! Dad! It's not what you think! You don't know what you're up against! It's like nothing you've ever seen! Dad, please! I promise you that you can't win this one! No! Dad, no! FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIFE, WOULD YOU PLEASE JUST LISTEN TO ME!

Stoick: You've thrown your lot in with them. You're not a Viking. You're not my son.

Everyone went silent for a while after they heard what Stoick said. Hiccup burst into tears as he hugs his mother tightly. The dragons started to growl at the chief and the Vikings spooked.

Stoick (cont.): READY THE SHIPS!

[Before walking to the docks, Stoick staggers back, realizing the mistake he just made.]