11, stare at me all you want

⿻ YOU.

"mom." you call your mother over the phone, effectively cutting her off as she ranted about how cute their new dog was and how the neighbor's daughter has got herself an italian boyfriend, with your voice barely above a whisper. you're not supposed to take personal calls at work if it's not an emergency, especially within the office hours. talking to your mom like this is risking your current job because if haitani rindou walks in this very moment? he'd dirty your name and rat you out to the COOs or worse, to mikey.

so you pinch the bridge of your nose, frustration bubbling in your system. if you were at home, you'd be talking to your mom until bedtime because that's how much you miss her. but not today. not at work. not when you know that rindou's just lurking around somewhere. "i told you not to call me at work if it isn't an emergency."

a laugh can be heard from the other line, no doubt the doing of your mom. "i know, i know, sweetie! it's just that i heard chifuyu's working at bonten now!"

at the sudden mention of the familiar name, your ears perked up. you didn't imagine him to work here, either, because the last you've heard from him since college graduation, he said he wanted to be a vet. unfortunately, when you got to meet him last week, you found out that rindou had already given him training and briefing so you weren't able to converse with him properly without work relation.

you did call him after work, though.

"yeah, he is. he's under my department." you answer. by now, your phone was sandwiched between your ear and your shoulder, signing a bunch of paperwork just so you don't waste any time.

"that's good news!"

you sigh. it is good news. seeing chifuyu everyday reminds you of your years as a college student. how you'd cram at night and skip breakfast, only to have the blonde feed you the random things he bought at a convenience store. you weren't really close to the point you'd hang out after school together, but he has always been around. he also sits next to you whenever you had history class and when you'd doze off due to the teacher's boring drawls about the lesson, he'd prop a book right in front of your face so you wouldn't get caught.