Chapter 17: Confessions

The first day, the women did not see anyone that looked even remotely like Daniel Whitehall enter or exit the building. By the time it turned 10 PM, they decided to return to the motel to freshen up and try again the next day.

This continued for the next four days, leaving the two assassins skeptical about whether it was really him on those security images. On the fifth day, they were sat in the van once again not taking their eyes off of the building.

"Don't you think that by now we probably missed him, or that he actually was killed by Coulson?" Natasha asked the brunette who was looking through additional databases for other clues.

"I have to keep trying Nat." Mara said in an almost desperate tone. "This is the only close lead we've got and if he actually is alive, then we've got a much bigger problem on our hands than simply finding out what happened to my parents."

"And we will keep trying, but we also need to be realistic that he may not show up to the building anymore and could be halfway across the world by now." Natasha explained with a soft expression on her face.

She admired Mara's persistence and had truly grown an admiration for the other woman. After a while, she had realised that these feelings she felt for the brunette were more than what she usually felt for a friend. She just wasn't sure if Mara felt the same way about her.

"I know. If we don't see anything in these next two days, we'll go back to research." Mara offered, to which Natasha nodded.

"Look Nat," Mara started. "I do not want you to think you have to stay to help me. I remember you told me you had family stuff to take care of. So if this lasts much longer, I want you to know that I can do it by myself as well and you can go help your family." She finished with an expression on her face that Natasha could not quite make out.

"Of course I'll keep helping you, Mara. I like working with you and my family can wait for a little longer. "I'm guessing I still have about a month before I really have to go." She smiled.

"Did you mean that?" Mara asked with a shy smile on her face.

"What?" Natasha questioned, not knowing what Mara was talking about. "That you like working with me."

"Yeah I do. I think we make a pretty good team, don't you think?" Th redhead responded with a smirk on her face. 'God, that smirk' Mara thought.

"I totally agree." She smiled at the redhead. She waited for a moment, contemplating if she should ask her next question. "Can I confess something?"

"Of course." Natasha said. Mara took a deep breath and said "I get these feelings around you that I can't quite explain yet..." she said, making Natasha furrow her brows.

"What kind of feeling?" She questioned, hoping it was the kind of feelings she felt too.

"I'm not sure yet, but my stomach feels all fluttery and funny." Mara tried to explain whilst looking out the front window of the van. She did not notice the big smile that had grown on Natasha's face.

"I feel it when I'm around you too." She said. Mara kept looking at the building, but a smile grew on her face. "What does this mean?" She questioned.

"I don't know that exactly, but we can explore it together." Natasha offered, making Mara nod in agreement.

Suddenly, Mara's smile dropped and her eyes grew wide. "Nat, call Steve and Tony. Whitehall is here and alive."