Chapter 38: Back home

After saying her goodbyes to everyone at the medical centre and Dr. Imani Adisa, Mara made her way outside where Steve was waiting with the quinjet.

"Steve!" Mara yelled as she ran over and tackled him in a hug.

"Hi Mara" he said with a big smile. "You ready to go home?" He asked.

"So ready" she said sighing with content. She looked over to see Shuri and T'Challa waiting to say their goodbyes.

She walked over and hugged T'Challa first. "Thank you so much for letting me stay in your beautiful country and for helping me" she spoke.

"You are always welcome. We're glad we could help." T'Challa replies with his signature kind smile.

She nods and turns her attention to Shuri, who also has a big smile on her face. "I'm going to miss you, you know." Mara said as she gave the young girl a tight hug.

"I know. I'll miss having you around, but go home to your girl." Shuri winks at Mara.

Mara chuckles and waves one final time before getting on the jet with Steve. She takes her seat in the co-pilot chair and puts on her headset. "Let's go home."

During the flight Mara and Steve discussed everything that has been going on.

"So you were basically frozen solid for a week and then hypnotised?" Steve said with a humorous tone.

"Yes Steve, now I finally know what you felt like when you were turned into a popsicle" She fires back.

"Okay okay..." he admits defeat.

"Anyway how were things back at the compound with Nat?" Mara asked.

Steve was a bit unsure of how to answer. He obviously couldn't tell her about him and Natasha getting a little closer than they should have.

"Good. She really missed you though. She went on missions to try and distract herself, but I did become a little concerned. She wasn't herself." He admits. It was true. Natasha was not herself, which resulted in her making out with Steve more than once and them cuddling up on the couch every night.

He always hoped it would turn into something more since he did have feelings for Natasha, but he knew that her heart was with someone else. He felt guilty for not stopping it since Mara was his friend, but he also could not miss out on the opportunity of finally being closer to the woman he developed feelings for.

"That is very typical for her. She does not like being confronted with those feelings and does anything to distract herself from them. I'm just glad she did not get hurt during her missions." Mara says.

The two talked for the rest of the flight until they landed back on the compound grounds. Mara looked out of the window and saw Natasha speeding out towards the quinjet.

This put a giant smile on Mara's face and she quickly opened the doors. The two women made eye contact and ran straight into each other's arms, holding on for dear life.

They stood there for a good 30 seconds in silence, enjoying the feeling of the other in their arms. Finally being able to hold each other again after spending a month apart. A month may not seem like a long time, but for them it was.

"I missed you so much." Natasha says. Mara notices her voice cracking slightly. "I missed you too, baby" she responds with a similar cracking voice.

The two remained there until they had to break apart and get inside. They made their way across the halls and to their room. As soon as they got inside, Mara pushed Natasha against the now-closed door and kissed her.

The kiss was full of emotion as the two moved so in-sync that you would hardly noticed they hadn't kissed in a month. As they finally broke apart breathless, Natasha spoke up.

"What do you want to do today?" She asked, still catching her breath.

"I just want to spend the day with you, but first I need a shower. I want to get this plane smell off of me." She chuckled as she made her way to her closet to grab some clothes.

"Do you want company?" Natasha asked with a seductive tone.

"Is that even a question?" Mara said with a smirk as she walked into the bathroom. Natasha hurried after her girlfriend and closed the bathroom door behind her. Ready for a very eventful shower session.