Chapter 30: Secrets

Over the past week, Steve had really looked out for Natasha. When she was not able to hear from her girlfriend for a week, she felt very alone and Steve was so kind to her that the two of them grew quite close.

After not hearing from Mara for the fourth day in a row, Natasha walked to the kitchen where Steve was already sitting with a beer.

"Hey Nat, still nothing?" She shook her head. "No, I'm guessing this may take a long time."

"That's okay. I'll be here if you ever need anyone to talk to." He said with a smile. He was always there for Natasha. He developed feelings for her after their adventure with Bucky, but never really acted on it in hopes those feelings would go away. They never did.

"Thanks Steve, that means a lot." He stood up and gave her a comforting hug, which she returned.

Natasha missed the feeling of being held by someone. At this point, it had been over two weeks since she had been physically close with anyone and nearly a week since she even talked to Mara.

"I miss this." She spoke softly. "What do you mean?" Steve asked in a soft voice as they broke apart from their hug.

"Being close to someone. I really needed that hug." She said with a smile.

They had both been alone at the compound since Mara left. Wanda was with Vision, Peter was with his aunt, Sam was back at his house, Rhodey was with the military and Tony was with Pepper in Malibu.

As they looked into each other's eyes, they both felt something shift. Both craving human contact, but in a different way. Steve wanted to be close to Natasha, while Natasha wanted to be close to someone.

Without thinking, they both moved closer together until their lips connected in a slow and sweet kiss. It lasted for a few seconds until Natasha finally came to her senses and broke the kiss.

"Shit." She muttered, wondering how she could ever do that to her girlfriend.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that. I just couldn't hide my feelings any longer than I already have." Steve confessed.

"What do you mean?" The redhead quizzed.

"I've had feelings for you ever since we went after Bucky back in 2014." Steve explained to her.

"Oh... I'm sorry. I'm just not in the right mindset to be thinking straight. I shouldn't have done that. My girlfriend is literally in hibernation to work towards a better version of herself and here I am kissing her good friend..." She spoke sadly, realising how bad she messed up.

"Hey, it's okay. You just missed being close to someone. I get that and she will probably understand it too." Steve said trying to calm her down.

Natasha nodded before heading upstairs to her room. She was so disappointed in herself for letting herself get so lost in her loneliness. How could she feel like this after two weeks without her girlfriend?

She decided to keep this incident to herself. It was a mistake and would not happen again. Steve was just a close friend who happens to have feelings for her. No big deal. Mara doesn't have to know all that since it wasn't important. 

It will be their secret.