Chapter 18: Chasing Whitehall

Natasha had just gotten off of the phone with Steve, who offered to get all the new recruits to help out as well. With a former Hydra leader walking around alive and well, it could mean that Hydra itself was also still active.

"Steve said they'll be here in five hours." She told Mara. "We can't wait that long. I have to go and shadow him so we don't lose track of him again." The brunette explained as she carefully opened the door of the van.

"I'm coming with you." Natasha said sternly. "No Nat, we'll be too noticeable. Especially you with your red hair." She said adding a slight smirk at the end of her sentence.

"You can follow from further back in the van, but I'm trailing him on foot. Alone." She said before closing the door and walking after Whitehall, making sure to keep her distance so he doesn't grow suspicious.

They made their way towards the outskirts of Phoenix. It was now getting dark outside, so it was easier for Mara to follow without being noticed.

She noticed that Whitehall started looking to his sides a bit more, so she dropped back slightly. She looked behind her and noticed the van about 100 meters behind them. She motioned for Natasha to drop back as well, hoping she would get the hint.

After a total of 25 minutes of walking, Whitehall went into an alley next to an apartment complex. It looked like a building you'd expect to see in Arizona, minimalistic, but with nude colours covering the outside walls.

She followed into the alley, hoping Natasha would stay back and not enter the alley with a giant van. Just when she rounded the corner, she saw Whitehall enter the building.

She walked back to the entrance of the alley and waited for Natasha to park before getting in the passenger side. "Okay, he entered his building. I suggest you stay here in the front while I stake out the back entrance to make sure he doesn't sneak off before Steve and the others get here." Natasha nodded.

"Be careful. You never know who he has around him watching out for him." She warned to which Mara nodded and got out of the van, walking back into the dark alley." It would now be around four hours before the others would arrive for back-up.

She leaned against the wall near the back entrance and let out a big sigh. She thought back to her journey before she got here. All she wanted was on simple answer, but no one was willing to give her that small peace of mind.

She was so glad that Natasha took her time to help Mara in this process, knowing how important it was to her. She reminisced all the moments the two shared in those weeks. 

It brought a smile to her face to realise how much that tiny redhead meant to her. They did not even know each other inside and out (literally), yet they still both felt a strong pull towards one another.

She was abruptly brought out of her daze as she felt something puncture her neck from the side. shit. She got so wrapped up in her thoughts about Natasha that she lost her focus.

"Hello, my dear Frost" was all she heard before the darkness took over.