Chapter 43: The mission

Mara was the first one on the quinjet, sitting all the way in the back to avoid contact with anyone. She sat there for about five minutes until the others walked in. She kept her focus in front of her.

Wanda noticed something was up with Mara, so made her way over and sat next to her. "Penny for your thoughts?" She asked in a soft voice.

Mara looked to her left and made eye contact with Wanda. Her eyes were void of any emotion at this point. "I'm just ready to kick some ass." She stated with a meaningless smile.

"I know you probably don't want to talk right now, but if you do I'll be right here." Wanda said with a kind smile on her face as she put her hand on Mara's knee, rubbing it a little for comfort.

"Thanks, Witchy." Mara smirked. She was thankful for her friendship with Wanda. They did not get to talk often, but they were the type of friends who did not have to see each other constantly to keep that strong bond. Mara had always felt compelled to watch out for Wanda, as a big sister would do for her younger sister.

"Witchy?" Wanda questioned with a chuckle. "Yes, that's your new nickname. I figured it would fit nicely with those wiggly-woos of yours." Mara responded as she did weird hand gestures to prove her point. Wanda laughed and shook her head at the awkward hand movements.

"I can't change your mind on that can I?" She asked. "Nope." Mara said with a grin on her face. Wanda had successfully distracted Mara from reality for that moment.

They did not notice Natasha glaring at them from the other side of the jet. She did not like the way Wanda's hand was on her girlfriend's knee. She decided to look away, secretly grateful to see Mara smiling, but also sad that it wasn't her who was the reason for that smile.

Wanda and Mara sat together for the remainder of the flight. About five minutes before landing Steve talked to the team about the plan. "We are about to break into a Hydra base, which means a lot of security and traps. Keep your eyes and ears open and be careful. You all know the plan, so stick to it and we'll be fine. Wanda and Mara, you will enter the base to retrieve the information with a USB drive. Vision will scope out the area and control the sky and me and Nat take the grounds outside of the base."

They all nodded and got their stuff ready for the mission. As they made their way out of the jet, they checked their comms to make sure everything worked.

Vision flew up to scope out any hostiles and take out anyone who may sneak up on the rest. Wanda and Mara went around the perimeter before moving in. They took out numerous guards before finding a way inside.

Natasha and Steve stayed behind to make sure no Hydra guards remained on the grounds.

"The sky and perimeter are clear of any hostiles" Vision spoke through comms.

"Keep your eyes trailed on the grounds then in case me and Nat don't see someone coming" Steve replied.

Mara and Wanda each entered a different hallway into the Hydra base. It felt familiar to Mara, like she's been there before.

"The computer room is in the back of the building on the second floor. I'm on the left side of the first floor. Looking for a way up now." She speaks into comms.

She took out a Hydra agent who walked past her. She stole his keycard to get into any restricted rooms and continued down the dark hallway.

"I'm on the right side and found a stairway. Mara, you have the drive on you so find a stairway soon. I'll take out any guards I find."  Wanda says.

Mara reaches the end of the hallway and finds a staircase. "Gotcha" she muttered to herself. She opened the door and slowly made her way up the stairs to the second floor with her gun held out in front of her.

She carefully opened the door that entered the second floor. She walked out and saw Wanda in the distance taking out two guards.

"Maximoff and Morozov, you have to hurry. There are guards coming in from the outside and we won't be able to hold all of them back." Steve says. Mara and Wanda looked at each other and quickly went to the back of the second floor where the computer room would be.

When they reached the room Mara walked over to a computer to download the files as Wanda guarded the door. "Come on, come on. Why do they have all this fancy tech, but such slow computers" Mara muttered to herself. When it was finally done downloading she removed the USB drive and walked back out the door.

The two started to make their way back when they suddenly heard gunshots. Mara felt a hot pain enter her back. Wanda turned around and quickly took out the guard who fired the shot.

Mara looked down and saw blood spreading through her top. She became weak on her legs and dropped down on her knees. "No, no, no shit..." Wanda said as she quickly made her way over to the brunette and tried to stop the bleeding. As she was trying to help Mara, Hydra guards kept coming.

Wanda had to shift her focus to taking out the guards that were coming at a quick pace. Mara was laying down at this point with black spots clouding her vision. All she could feel was pain and exhaustion.

Once Wanda found a moment where no guards were left, she picked up Mara with her magic and ran outside. She used her free hand to fire energy balls at any guards who even tried to come close. Anger and worry clouded her judgement as she saw her friend limp in the hold of her magic.

She ran to the jet where the others quickly joined them. "Oh no...what the hell happened?!" Natasha asked. Her eyes filled with worry and fear as she saw her girlfriend laying motionless on the floor with blood gathering underneath her.

Steve rushed over and used towels and shirts to try and stop the bleeding. "We were walking back to the staircase when we heard gunshots behind us. I took out the guard, but when I turned around I saw Mara on her knees with bullet holes in her." Wanda said as tears gathered in her eyes.

"We have to go. NOW" Steve said as Natasha rushed to the pilot seat and took off to the compound.

That was the last thing Mara heard before the dark spots in her vision fully took over and all she saw was black.