Chapter 39: Sparring session

After their shower, the two women got dressed and ready for bed. Mara was really tired from her flight and the different time zone. She made her way to her side of the bed, motioning for Natasha to join her.

Natasha laid down at her side with her arms around her and head on her shoulder. She took a deep breath causing the scent of vanilla and jasmine to fill her nostrils. She finally had her girlfriend back in bed next to her.

Mara squeezed Natasha lightly before falling into a dreamless sleep. Natasha soon followed after her.

Mara woke up first as always. She felt Natasha's arms still clasped around her, so she tried to lay as still as possible to avoid waking her. She knew it was early in the morning, as the sun hadn't fully risen.

She laid there for about fifteen minutes before she carefully removed Nat's arms from around her and got out of bed. She went to her closet and changed into workout clothes.

She walked over to the gym, turned on some 80s music and moved over to the weights section. It's been a while since she had a proper workout so she was happy to get back into it.

After about 30 minutes, she saw her favourite redhead walk into the gym. They smiled at each other as Natasha went to wrap her hands. "You want to have a sparring session?" She asked Mara.

Mara nodded and walked over to wrap her own hands. Natasha was already in the boxing ring, so Mara ducked under the ropes to join her. As if it was meant to be, the song Eye of the Tiger by Survivor started playing to bring them into a boxing mood.

The two smirked at each other and got into their fighting stance. Mara was patient. She preferred starting on defence and moving to offence in fighting to gauge her opponent's fighting technique.

Natasha soon gave in and made the first move, swinging her arm straight at Mara's face. As Mara went to block the arm swing, Natasha quickly used her right leg to kick right in Mara's stomach. Mara stumbled only slightly which resulted in Natasha trying to use her signature move on Mara.

Mara caught Natasha just as she tried to wrap her legs around Mara's head. She grabbed around her thighs and slammed Natasha down on the mat. Natasha let out a huff as Mara pinned her down.

"I'm assuming you didn't fight as much as usual in the time that I left." Mara smirked, still pinning Natasha to the ground by her wrists. Natasha saw no way out and tapped on Mara's arm. Resulting the brunette to let her go.

Mara stood up and held her hand out for Natasha to take. The redhead took it, but instead of just standing up she used the momentum to throw Mara to the ground.

"Thanks for the help" Natasha joked and walked out of the ring to grab her towel and wipe the sweat off of her face. Mara laid on the mat of the ring for a moment, catching her breath and cursing at herself for being tricked.

After a few more seconds, Mara crawled up and sat down next to her girlfriend. "Good fight." She said with a smirk. "You should never trust me inside a ring" Natasha joked while bumping Mara's shoulder.

"Yeah, I got that.." Mara said, trying to keep a straight face. "Did you follow your regular training schedule while I was away?" She asked.

"I tried as best as I could. It was hard in the beginning, but after a while I got back into rhythm and Steve joined me during training sessions as well. He sort of became my gym buddy, I guess you could say."

Natasha said with a chuckle. She always preferred to work out alone to stay focused and because partners often held her back.

"That's good. Am I your gym buddy now?" Mara joked. "We'll see" and with that, Natasha grabbed her towel and walked out of the gym.

Mara walked out towards the kitchen to make herself some breakfast. She was met with Steve who was already making pancakes.

"Good morning Steve" Mara smiled. "Morning Mara," Steve said, returning her smile. "Do you want some pancakes?" He asks.

"No thank you. I don't know how Americas can eat pancakes every single morning" Mara laughed. "I'll stick to oats with fruit and yoghurt." It really did seem like all Americans ate for breakfast was either pancakes or cereal.

"Suit yourself, I am blessed with fast metabolism" Steve winked, gesturing at his physique. Mara scoffed and went to the fridge to grab the yoghurt.

"Do you think we have any missions coming up?" She asked as she poured her yoghurt, fruit and oats into a bowl and made her way to her seat.

"Fury told me that he had a bigger mission coming up, something about a Hydra base in Missouri. He'll give us a briefing soon I'm guessing." Steve says. "Do you want to get out on missions already?"

Mara nods. "Yes. It's not like I was injured for months, I actually think I've improved and am ready for a Hydra mission. They can't use my trigger words anymore, so that's good."

Steve looked at her for a second, trying to see any indication that she wasn't ready, but coming up empty. "I guess you're right. Let's wait for Fury to call a meeting." He says with a soft smile before returning his attention to his pancakes.