Chapter 27: A new beginning

The three of them made their way back inside, where T'Challa excused himself and got back to doing king stuff. Mara had no clue what exactly he did, but she could only guess it was important.

Mara and Shuri walked through a modern flat as they discussed the upcoming schedule. "We will let you get settled today and tomorrow as we start preparing you for treatment. We will begin the treatment itself on Wednesday." Shuri explained.

"How long do you think the entire process will last?" Mara asked hesitantly, afraid of the possible answer. "Well our first treatment with the Winter Soldier lasted almost a year, but we still had to figure everything out in that time." The young scientist began.

"I'm guessing yours will likely take around two months, since we already know what treatment should work and how to perform the ceremony. But I cannot guarantee any of it, so please do not take this as a fact." She said, looking up at the assassin, who nodded in return.

"Why are you so eager to return to New York, if I may ask?" Causing a smile to form on Mara's face. "I would like to get back to Natasha, my girlfriend, as soon as possible."

Shuri chuckled "so, you and the infamous Black Widow? Quite the pair." She said while making strange movements indicating fighting poses.

Mara knew what she meant and let out a small laugh. She knew Natasha and her were both considered by many to be cold-hearted assassins and that it was indeed strange that the two found love in each other, but she knew that both her and Natasha were softies deep down.

"Yeah, I guess you can say that. We truly were made for each other in that sense." She chuckled.

They continued walking until Shuri stopped in front of a door. "This is where you'll be sleeping during your stay here." She said as she opened the door.

It was a nice room, similar to a hotel room. It was just as modern as the rest of the Wakandan architecture and Mara knew she would be very comfortable here.

"I'll let you unpack your things and get settled. I will come back to get you for dinner." Shuri told her as Mara admired the room.

"Thank you, Shuri, for showing me around and helping me get settled. You are all incredibly welcoming despite my reputation." Mara said with a sad smile. Shuri stepped beside her and pulled her into a side hug.

"It doesn't matter who you were in the past. It matters who you wish to be in the future." And with that, she left Mara to get settled in the room.

She unpacked all her clothing, neatly putting them in the closet. As she moved through her things, she spotted a picture of her and Natasha. 'Strange' she thought, because she did not put that in there. She grabbed it and looked on the back.

She laughed as she read the message. 'This is for you to look at when you start missing me... Love, Natasha' God, she was such a weirdo.

She set the picture down on her nightstand and grabbed a book to amuse herself until it was time for dinner.