12.

Next day turned out to be unexpectedly different from the others. As in the middle of the day I was greeted by two unwelcomed visitors - arrogant bastards, probably trying to steal good information from the survey corps' captains as they were away.

 When I heard the snorts of two horses outside, I knew that this wasn't my people. The bells announcing that they're back hadn't rung, so I immediately put out the fire in the kitchen and grabbed my cape, laying around a bunch of books, scattered over the dinning room's floor. 

I was lucky to be fully geared as this was happening, as I wanted to enjoy every second of my own creation. And this was the perfect opportunity to test its functionality in actual battle.

The two bastards came in all confidently through the front door, leaving their horses just by the entrance. I knew that in order to cut off all opportunities of them running away I had to get rid of the horses first.

I wasn't going to kill them as they would be useful to the survey corps, but leading them off without being noticed wasn't going to be easy.

Luckily for me, the way to the stables could be easily blocked with boxes of supply, so I just lead the horses there, keeping them as calm as I could, and even offering sugar cubes as encouragement. After pushing two boxes on top of each other to form a brigade, it was time for the real battle.

By the time I had been done with the horses, they had already found my studying spot, rustling through my notes and books, searching for anything that would be worth selling to the black market, but luckily for me, it simply wasted their time.

In particular, they took their time and moved slowly and confidently through the facility, very sure that they were alone. However, by the time they reached the second floor, where the offices of Hanji and Levi were, I had already planned my attack.

Sneaking in through the window, I claimed the spot of the log structure above the corridor that was there for building's stability. It was the perfect hiding spot.

The part that was unfortunate was the fact that these two bastards never separated from each other - they moved together, so I knew that the moment I would attack one, the other would immediately go into alert mode.

My best bet was to immobilize one of them as fast as possible and attack the other one directly.

I calmly camped on the log, turning on the battle mode of my gear and checking whether there were no faults with the gas and wire constructions on the back. And just as I finished checking, they entered the second floor.

It was the start of the battle.

One of these thieves was slimmer, but more cautious than the other, so I knew that he'd be a better first victim. Watching them check the first doors that lead to some cadets' rooms, I waited until they were just below me, right before the entrance to Hanji's office and I finally struck my blow.

I pushed a little empty wooden box off of the ledge behind me to draw attention to the right of them and, using the sound of the crash as a sort of disguise, I landed next to the slimmer guy, smacking the back of his head as hard as I could.

By the time the first thief met the floor, I was already on my way to attack the second one. This guy looked tough - he was way taller and heavier than me, so kicking him or tossing him away was not an option. My best bet would be to knock him out just like the first guy - as hard as I can and as quickly as I can, hitting from the back.

He was quick to react and took out a gun, aiming it at me, but I was faster. Predicting the way of the bullet, I ducked, and just as it fired, kicked the gun out of the his hand. A spark of satisfaction fired up in my chest.