20.

We spent the night in the same inn that our meetings took place. The atmosphere was tragic and tense.

Everyone was lost in their thoughts, Mikasa, Eren and Armin even took a walk around the village to clear their heads. Levi simply sat in the dining room and drank tea, thinking through the meeting. I, myself, felt unstable.

I sat next to Levi, keeping him company. Or at least that's what I told myself. If I had to guess, I probably just didn't want to be alone.

Silently going through my gear and making improvements, I worked next to him. Levi silently watched my every movement, but didn't say a thing. I didn't dare to either.

Finally done checking the last piece, I fitted it onto the back my right hand and nodded to myself. I had procrastinated enough, avoiding touching the documents of my mission, but I had to get my mind together.

"I'm going to my room." I exclaimed, killing the ever-lasting silence. Putting all my tools in the respective pockets of the tool bag, I finally cleaned up and stood up to leave.

Levi didn't say a word, silently putting down his teacup. Waiting for any comment from him, I stood there impatiently, but, as it was not coming, I decided to really just go to my room. My chest stung not knowing whether I would be able to talk to Levi before my mission as I wasn't aware of when the time for their plan's execution was and I myself had to move out early in the morning.

Once again, I hesitated. I hoped for Levi to say at least a word to me. I didn't care what it was. I looked back at him, standing next to the door frame, giving him the last chance to speak up.

But he didn't.

The only fact he knew about my current job was that I was going on a solo mission per Erwin's request, but that's it. I knew he had guessed that this was a high-risk mission.

So why aren't you asking?

I couldn't control my face expression, biting my bottom lip as my chest stung in unknown pain. I turned away.

"Good night, Levi." I whispered, not being able to bring myself to be  angry at him. The disappointment of his attitude just worsened the pain in my chest.

I finally leave, walking up the stairs to my humble room and shut the door behind myself. I didn't know how to act.

"You need to stay strong, (y/n)." I tried encouraging myself, taking a deep breath. 

A stack of papers with a wooden pass to the city from the underground, stacked on the only desk in the room caught my eye. Taking them, I take a seat next to my bed and start reading through.

The location of the base, the map, descriptions of known members of the criminal group.

Quickly memorizing it all, I sighed. The only comfort I can give myself is a simple self-hug.

I felt scared. The reality of this mission had sunk in.

I can die there.

And probably will.

And he didn't even ask a single question about it. 

I ran my hand through the hair in frustration. Why is he treating me like that now? He knew that this type of work interested me and supported my decisions.. But the moment I get a mission, he starts acting cold.

"Maybe he's really expecting me to die there. How unfair.." my voice trembled. 

"The least he could do is wish me luck."

<><><><><>

"Lady White, correct?" A man took down his hat, greeting me near the inn's entrance.