22.

Panting from the growing heat in the room numbed my ears as I clumsily removed my cloak. At this point in children's eyes I must've looked insane, but I didn't care. If it meant getting even a smallest source of fresh air, I was ready to lose an arm.

I had a knife in my hand, digging through the brick glue. I needed to remove just one brick to gain access to dirt. If I'm able to dig through it, I could potentially discover the surface.

I had taken off my mech in case I need it in perfect condition after. I couldn't risk breaking it during this type of rough work.

The children were already close to losing consciousness, and I knew that I needed to work faster. I was not about to have their deaths haunt me for the rest of my life.

We were in a worse situation than I expected. From sudden ground-breaking earthquakes the upper building crashed down with a big bang. It sent shivers down my spine just wondering whether we were buried alive. But if I were to lose my mind, I'd simply have to wait for death. And this wasn't the way I was going to choose.

"There's a white square pack in my bag." panting through the words, I spoke up, taking a small break from the constant work. My hands were already scratched up, some nails painfully broken and bleeding, arms covered in small wounds created by the knife slipping away from the rocky surface and grazing the skin. But I wasn't ready to give up. Not now. Not ever. "Crack them in half and share it amongst the children. It's a cooling pack. Should help with keeping the consciousness."  

"Yes, ma'am-" Alice quickly moved from her spot amongst the children, but I could tell that even her movements were becoming sloppy. She was not too far away from fainting herself.

I could see a small hint of relief in her eyes as the children held the cooling packs on their cheeks, sighing in comfort. I had originally brought this for medical reasoning, but this was also a great use.

"Use it on yourself too, Alice." I ordered, going back to digging. I was close to digging through half of the glue covering the top brick. Just one more corner and I'd be able to attempt to forcefully break it off. That is, if I have any strength left by that time.

"And you.. ma'am?" Alice looked at me with her tired bright blue eyes.

"I'm fine." I wipe of the sweat off my face.

Soon panting intensifies and I throw away the knife. I can't risk trying to scratch off the remaining brick glue. I have no time left for that.

I slip my fingers into the crack, rocky surface painfully scratching my skin. I didn't care about the pain. I couldn't let us die here. Hanging myself off of the brick, I manage to squeeze my fingers slightly behind it, finally having a surface to grab on. Now it all depended on my physical strength.

I ram my feet into the wall, pushing myself off of it and at the same time pulling on the brick. First attempt - no good. I was about to lose my last glimpse of hope, but a slight crack brightened my whole face as it was gifted to me from my second attempt.

Another crack came with my third attempt. And with the fourth pull, I was launched on my back, the brick roughly landing right beside me. Collision knocks the air out of my lungs and I'm afraid to look up. This is when we get to know just how dead we are.

However, the sound of dirt starting to pile into the room reaches my ears.  And with this generous amount of filth came a new, fresh breath of air.

Success.

I slowly sit back up, my arms and hands covered in blood and open wounds. My back is on fire, and I try moving side to side to check my condition, but soon regret it as a big wave of pain follows each centimetre of movement. I bought us time. That was what mattered the most.