6.

"Again. I'm using too much gas."

I feel my body fall forwards as I unhook the wires and land on the ground with a roll.

"Again."

My feet slip on the branch and I, once again, end up on the ground.

"Again, (y/n)!"

One of my hooks misses the tree completely.

"Again!"

I crouch on the ground, covering my face with hands. It's been weeks since I've started training and I still haven't learned the basics.

I take a deep breath, looking at the ground as the sun slowly sets. Other new cadets are training how to use combat blades already, but I can't even have hopes about reaching those classes anymore.

"(Y/n), did you fall again?" The same blond guy shouts across the field. I try to ignore his comment, but that doesn't stop him. "Did this little kitty get hurt? Awww, let me get you some tea and blankets."

Laughter can be heard across the campus as I stand up, hooking the wires on the same tree. I have to go on.

Hours and hours pass without me noticing. Sweat dripping of my face and bruised arms and legs from all the falls leave my body aching. I don't even realize it's dark.

I try once more, but, as expected, fail once more.

"Tch." I stumble on the ground, quickly trying to stand up again.

"Oi, brat!" A familiar voice reaches my ears. "What do you think you're doing here in the middle of a night?"

I salute, breathing heavily.

"I'm sorry sir, didn't mean to wake you up."

"You didn't, brat." Levi steps closer,  crossing his arms and  sighing. "Gather up your gear. You're done."

"Sir, please, I-"

"You're done."

"...Yes, sir." I look at the ground. My muddy face hidden behind (h/c) locks of hair.

"Idiot." Levi looks at my dirty uniform and scoffs. "So your biggest problem is the landing, right?"

"That is correct." I nod.

"Try it again." 

I can feel my ears perk up. Our eyes meet as I nod, nervously looking back at the tree I've been training on the whole time. I take a deep breath and try landing on the tree once again.

I land on two feet and for a fraction of a second I feel hope that this try is actually the one, but I feel my balance shift and I end up on the ground once again.

"Okay.." Levi's deep voice reaches my ears. I stand up, wiping sweat off my cheek. His concentrated look runs through my gear. "Try something new."

"Yes?" I perk up, stretching worn out arm muscles.

"Try landing on all four."

My eyebrows immediately furrow. That would make sense, since my anatomy is different from a normal human, it would be way easier to go with normal instincts.

I crouch, thinking that might also help with the jump. The wires shoot sticking in the same tree once again. I leap through the air without even thinking. Instincts immediately take over.

Perfection.

I land on the branch gracefully on both hands and legs.

"There you go, you idiot."

Immediate feeling of relief overflows my body, as a small smirk of accomplishment decorates my lips.

I'm not a failure.

I won't be a disappointment to Levi.

The view in front of me suddenly becomes blurry, but I feel so tired that I can't even understand fully what's happening. My body goes limp and I feel myself lose control, as light wind brushes my dirty locks of hair.

Two thumps can be heard as I feel a sudden embrace around my back and legs. I slightly close my eyes, trying to see him more clearly, but even without looking I can tell that it's him.

He caught me. Captain Levi has saved me once again.

"Ay, brat! Don't you dare close your eyes. What a bother." Levi scoffs, carrying me inside bridal style.

"I'm sorry captain."

"Just shut up already."

After that I can hear many voices, some with a hint of concern, but all I can think about is my accomplishment and that captain was able to see it.

Finally comes silence and after that a cozy embrace of sheets. When Levi's arms move away, I feel a hint of loneliness, wishing he could hold me longer, but such thoughts are quickly waved off. I must not act up.

"Drink up." I see Levi reach out his hand, holding a cup of water. Finally realising just how dehydrated I am, I quickly nod as a small thank you and gulp it all down. A sigh of relief leaves my lips.

"Thank you, sir."

"Just call me Levi for Christ's sake."

"Yes.. Levi."

I try my best to compose myself, feeling as if this moment is letting us get closer, but my tail unknowingly gives up my excitement, beginning to sway in soft movements behind my back.

"You do not need to push yourself that hard."

His sudden words make me immediately move my gaze towards the cup I'm holding.

"But I admire your hard work."

I freeze. He complimented me.

"Get some goodnight sleep. We'll have a talk tomorrow."