28.

"Oh, you're back!" spotting us, Hanji waved. It seemed all the children were inside already, sun almost completely hidden behind the horizon as dark blue tint coloured the base's walls.

Hopping off of beauty I took off her saddle and reigns, leaving her usual spot in the stables open in case she decides to sleep out on the grass today. Concerned animal tracks my movement with a keen eye, almost as if able to hear that loudly beating heart that's threatening to jump out.

"Did you get what you need?" before the scientist's sentence was even finished, I ran past her, going inside. The loud slam of the door finally throws me out of a loop of thought as I flinch.

Many pairs of eyes shoot up from the dining table and I march over to Krista, taking her hand. Before I could get any words out, a big gasp of air enters my lungs, almost as if my body had forgotten it was crucial to breathe through the entire journey back.

"C-can we talk?" unlike my overexaggerated behaviour, my voice sounded silent, face still burning hot and not looking like it's going to cool down anytime soon.

"Yeah, of course," her expression quickly grew concerned as she let herself be lead away, my hand tightly grasping on her wrist.

I couldn't even remember walking up to the second floor. Shutting my room's door behind us, I stopped, my frozen gaze stuck to the floor. Finally, my legs give out and I slide down the door until I meet the floor.

"(Y/n)!" the poor girl gets a scare as I curl into a ball, hugging my legs. "What happened?"

I wish I could lay out exactly what happened, but words get stuck in my throat as I malfunction even more, rethinking what happened just twenty minutes ago. It felt like steam was about to lift off of my head from the deepening shades of read that painted my cheeks.

"Are you hurt somewhere?" I quickly shake my head, hoping that helps her worry less.

As soft knock echoes in the room, every hair on my body stands up, heart loudly drumming in my chest. I scoot to the side, letting Krista open the door and peek out to check who it is, anxiously waiting to see whether it's him. But thankfully, my shaken heart is saved.

"It's Hanji," Krista looks at me, asking whether she should let her in, and I nod slightly.

The woman calmly walks in, closing the door behind her softly and crouches before me, analysing my behaviour.

"She hasn't said a word about what's wrong," worried, Krista cups her cheek, trying to figure out what the hell is happening. But on the other hand, Hanji seems to know exactly what has entailed.

"Spill the beans," she grabs the nearest chair, turning it so that the backrest faces me and takes a  wide-spread seat. "Where - forehead, hand, lips?"

I lift my hand in the same position that Levi held it when a soft kiss collided with my knuckles, and Hanji's smile grows even wider, having been proven correct. Not being able to hold eye contact with her, I cover my face with my free hand.

"Did she get hurt here?" grabbing the hovering hand, Krista carefully examines it.

"Krista, think," not giving her a straight answer, Hanji plays around, excitedly bouncing her leg. "What clues do you have?"

"Well, she just came back from the city with Levi.. And all of this has to do something about her hand. Your guesses included something that can be done to the forehead, hand and...lips-"

"Uhuh," leaning forward on the backrest of her chair, Hanji smirked. I could almost hear the gears turning in Krista's head.

Finally, her round blue eyes grow big as she stares daggers into my hand. Soft shade of pink paints her cheeks.