13.

Having a broken arm really did hinder with the ability to go around the campus. My training time quickly turned into just even more studying and taking care of the horses, as I couldn't let myself injure or crack the bone in the arm even more - it'd been a waste of resources to take expensive painkillers.

With each day slowly passing, ingredients for food started to run out as now I had to feed not only myself but two other prisoners as well. And so I set out to gather some edible herbs I had found out about from Hanji's delicate collection of books.

With the help of my tail I put on a saddle on of the horses, before leaving giving the prisoners a last bathroom break, and finally left. I knew that it was risky leaving them there alone since there was still a chance someone could come to look for the missing thieves, but from their faces I could guess - they weren't waiting for anyone, as nobody would bother to wait for them. They were simply a replaceable group of hires.

"Let's go, little girl." I patted the beautiful light grey horse on the neck, and so I moved out with a calm expression on my face.

It took good couple of hours to gather the herbs I had set my eyes on. Seeing that there was no trouble with the weather or other conditions, I decided to also go to town and buy some ingredients for the corps.

It had been a while since I'd last been around so many people. I had to move around with a hood, not wanting to risk being caught wandering around.

"Two bags of flour, madam." I asked a woman at a humble stall, pulling my hood down to avoid her gaze.

"Ayah, what a small lady ya are!" She exclaimed, shaking her head with a cheek in her hand. What an elderly person's behavior. She took the money from my hand and shook her head once again after seeing my broken arm in the cast. She's quick. "You won't move a single bag with those frail arms of yars! Even so with a broken one, lady! Let me get ya sum help."   

I was about to tell her that there was no problem, when a quick shout deafened my already sensitive ears. 

"Ay John! Come 'yer!"

Not soon after her words, a tall muscle mountain appeared through a door of a small house the woman's stall stood in front. They must be using that house for storage.

"Help that lil' girl get them bags on the horse."

The man didn't complain and quickly picked up those bags on his shoulders, one on each arm, and started  stacking them on the light grey beauty which silently snorted in annoyance of the extra luggage.

"I appreciate the help, madam." I bowed to the woman and the man after they were done. 

Knowing that I wouldn't feel right simply walking away, I reached into the shoulder bag I had collected my herbs on and handed them one clump of herbs, wrapped in a small piece of cloth.

"I know that medicine is extremely expensive, so let me repay you with knowledge." I said silently, feeling a bit shy from their intrigued gazes. "These are herbs called Melitas, they're a bit tricky to find, but once brewed as tea can have a nice muscle relaxing effect. It can also help with headaches and other pains in the body."

My eyes met the madam's for a small second and she quickly understood that I she wasn't the only one observing the other. This very honest woman tried her best to run the stall with shaking and bruised hands and with heavier movements her face would light up with a more serious expression.

Without giving them a moment to reply, I quickly mounted the horse and took the rein in my healthy hand.

"Have a pleasant evening." I bowed quickly ant turned the four-legged beauty around, trotting away back to the headquarters.

She probably saw my face. I sighed, removing the hood when I was already out of the city. But I don't think she's going to do anything about that.

With the red sun burning my dark cape, covering my back, I made it back and put the of flour bags in the kitchen's storage. I couldn't lift them up as easily as the guy from the stall could, but in around 10 minutes I was done.

For the rest of the day I put sorted out the herbs and hung them around the dinning room's windows to dry. When it was finally done, it almost looked as if it was a natural decoration, giving the atmosphere a hint of freshness.

Not knowing what else to do, I leaned over the table, laying down on my side and stared into one of the candles that were in front of me.

"It's really starting to get boring here.." I said out loud as if anyone could hear me. A delusional part of me almost expected to be called a brat by Levi, standing in the place where he had stood  listening to my life story as a slave.

It had been a couple of days past the two weeks' mark. At first I had myself collected, but now that my expectations of them being back in a week had been crushed, I found myself becoming more anxious by each day.

"I wish they would come back soon.." this loneliness felt way too familiar and even started to bring back the memories of the first days I had to survive without my mother in that hellish place. 

And there was barely anything to distract myself with - I had gone through all of the books I could find that weren't about history as I found them uninteresting, and learning other skills required either other people's help or my broken arm.

Knowing that if I let myself just sit there, I'll fall into a helpless spiral of thought, I decided to go check on the prisoners. They were sitting there silently, lost in thought just like I was a moment ago. How bizarre.

"Hungry? Thirsty?" I asked, flopping onto the chair and awaiting for the response. 

"Thirsty, if I may." The bigger guy spoke up. Not long ago I got to know their names. The slimmer one was Jason and the bigger one - Nick. No last names, as they were also from the underground. I wasn't angry or pissed at them for trying to steal these documents. We all knew that in the Underground you did anything to survive. I couldn't blame them. I was the same after all.

"Sure." I nodded, soon bringing down a cup of freshly brought from the well water and handed it to him through the bars.

"Why are you so nice to us, you stupid girl?" The slimmer one spoke up with these type of questions once again. 

I usually didn't say anything or simply repeated the same answer as before, stating that it was not my intention nor job to kill them, but this time, whether because I felt like I lacked company or just the luxury of having someone to converse with, I decided to answer.

"Because I do not wish to treat you as slaves."

After getting back the cup I had given to Nick, I put it on the table and sat down once again.

"How's your wound?" I asked him, observing his expression and searching for any hints of pain.

"Been better, been worse." His lack of information in the response made me release a puff.

"I take it better than before then, huh." I leaned back. His foot I had shot with a hook had been already bandaged and rebandaged a couple of times to ensure a safe recovery. If Levi and Hanji does decide to release them, I do not wish to feel like just because of me he would lose the opportunity to get new jobs because of a cripple leg. "Good."

 I brought my tail in front of myself, picking the dirt and leftover leaves from herb-collecting off of the fur. All of us stayed in silence and after I was done, I sighed, getting up.

"I'm going to wash up. I'll leave one candle here as per usual." I looked at Nick and Jason. "Good night."

"..Night." this was the first time I actually got a response from them. Somehow, that made a small bit of me happy. 

Damn I wish they'd come back sooner so that I can tell all about the new things I learned.

And yet with each day my anxiety only rose.

As time since they had left slowly and painfully reached week 3.

And there were no signs of them being back.