25.

Last checking through the gate made everyone feel impatient as a light wind teasingly played with our hair, coming to visit from time to time from the Upperground. We were only a couple of steps away from freedom.

"Come on, let's go!" Alice exclaimed, motivating the children to go up the stairs after we get let through the security.

I hold a the youngest two children in my arms and follow her with a light smile, Hanji and Levi following our hoard of youngsters just a couple of steps behind me. We haven't spoken yet, but I didn't want to. At least not yet.

I don't want to beg for their condolences or sorry. I wanted to see them speak up first and express their own thoughts of how they're going to continue to treat me. Do they think of me as family still? A friend? Or am I just a bad guy now who arrogantly disobeyed and betrayed their organization?

I squint my eyes when bright sun finally meets my face. 

Ah.

How peaceful.

Loud high-pitched laughter from the children reaches my ears as they flicker. Seeing them all experience walking on soft grass in the sun, feeling the wind softly cuddle their worn-out bodies filled me with indescribable happiness. I was blessed to be able to give others what I craved for as a child.

Their wide smiles was the best reward I could get.

I set the two youngest children on the ground, holding their hands and softly encouraging them to go take their first steps of freedom. At first weary, toddlers clutch my fingers with their entire strength, but after a couple of minutes of bubbling nonsense words, their eyes lock on a white butterfly that gracefully lands on a flower a bit further ahead.

Their eyes sparkle and finally they start taking wabbly steps towards the unknown creature. I try not to say anything, but their cuteness make my tail sway from side to side from under the dark cape.

How lovely these little creatures can be.

I notice Hanji and Levi staying a bit further back, exchanging a couple of words. An unsettling feeling fills my lungs, but after sitting down on the grass to encourage the toddlers to take their time exploring, I speak up.

"Is there anywhere I could let them stay for a bit?" I look at Hanji, still avoiding eye contact with Levi.

"The last base where you set off should be empty for around a month." Hanji seems almost ecstatic that I have finally spoken to her. "I can make sure it is safe there for around this period of time." 

"Greatly appreciated." I nod to her, but one more question on my mind makes me impatiently sway my tail. "Oh and what about Beauty-"

A silent snort from far ahead reaches my ears. Here she was, the light grey horse on another hill, patiently snacking on some fresh grass. I feel my whole body tense up from relief and happiness. I've missed her so much.

I carefully stand the toddlers back up and help them get to Alice, meanwhile whole time my heart is numbing my ears with its loud drums.

I step back just in case the children get scared and finally remove my hood. Putting two fingers in my mouth, I release a loud whistle, greeting my long-time friend. Beauty holds up her head, finally spotting me and with a loud answer, stands on her back two legs before beginning to quickly bolt towards me.

"Hi beauty!" I laughed with a soft voice as she trotted close me, her marvelous mane tossing from side to side with each step. She began to sniff me, curiously spinning around in circles. "I've missed you, little girl!"

Her loud snort made me smile as I finally got a chance to hug her big neck. Honestly, this little gift of life is the one to trust forever.

"She hasn't left this spot after seeing you set off to the underground." A low voice makes me tense up as finally, after such a long, Levi spoke up. I notice Hanji helping Alice guide the children to the base bit by bit, allowing us some space to speak.