Gone

Chapter 11

Bree's Pov

I stand on top of the cliff, motionless. It doesn't sink in at first, that my first friend on this island is gone. The one person that I could tease. The one that I could talk to if I was sick of Jack and Ralph. My stomach twisted to a knot as I sank down on my knees.

"No," I said again, in a whisper this time. Tears burned at the corners of my eyes like wildfires and the sobs racked my body like thunder. "No." Staring at his lifeless body only made my spirits drop like they were attached to the thousand weights that rested on my shoulders.

Jack walked toward me slowly. The expression on his face was surprised, like he didn't know that if he dropped a boulder on someone that they would die. "Bree, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-"

"Jack you are about the last person I want to see right now," I spit. He looked at the ground and nodded. "I never want to see you again! You're just a murderer! I tried to forgive you for the first person you killed, but this is just too much to ask of a person! There is something wrong with you, Jack Merridew."

Then I ran. I turned and ran down Castle Rock, down to the sand, and into the water. The cool, salty waves lapped around my feet and I sank into the ocean. My brain still couldn't wrap around the idea that poor, sweet, innocent Piggy with his ass-mar was gone.

"Bree wait!" I heard Ralph's voice over the sound of the crashing waves. I don't turn around. I don't want him to see me like this.

"Bree," he says, not even out of breath. "Look at me Bree."

I don't. My eyes burns a hole into the horizon as I will Ralph to go away, to just leave me.

"I'm not leaving until you do," he says, as if reading my thoughts. I took a deep breath, wiped my eyes, and slowly looked at him. I stared at his chin, not wanting to meet his eyes. He lifted up my chin so my eyes met his gaze.

"I just wanted you to know that I will never let you down," he says in all seriousness. "and I won't kill anyone, unlike that jerk, Jack." He grins. I allow myself the small pleasure of a smile that quickly turns to a frown.

"But that's what Jack said," I realize as I turn away from his offer. Ralph sighs.

"I know it may take you a while to trust someone again, but I just wanted you to know that," Ralph sighs dejectedly as he stands up, brushing sand off of his legs. I watch him begin to walk away then think better of his choice. He turns his head. "Do you maybe need some company?"

I nod and Ralph sits next to me, wrapping his arms around me. Together we stare at the night sky and I begin to truly appreciate the beauty of this island instead of just noticing the horror. And right then, right there, everything was okay.

Jack's POV

I was done with being nice. It was clear that Bree would never forgive me for what I did and I didn't blame her. Anyone sane wouldn't want to be near me after what I did. So that's why I had to force the hunters to stay with me.

"Jack we don't wanna-" a boy named Shermy started.

"Shermy, would you like to join Piggy?" I growled. Shermy shook his head.

"Look guys, I know I look like the bad guy here, but Ralph and Bree are trying to sabotage our rescue from the island! They want to stay here forever and make YOU their slaves! Do you want that?" I scream to the boys.

"No!" They yell collectively. A smile slowly creeps onto my face. The boys are starting to believe my ridiculous propaganda. I realize how great of a leader I am. I can certainly convince the people of anything.

"So what do we do, Chief?" asks the littlest boy, James.

I beam. I'm their chief, not Ralph. "We burn him out," I say. "Set fire to the trees so they run out to the beach and then we can fight them! Then they can't run away like the cowards they are!"

The boys whoop and holler and start painting their faces again in a war-like fashion. I give out instructions on how to build a fire and we get right to work.

That will show Bree for calling me a murderer. I am not a murderer. I am insane.