Rocks

Chapter Eleven

Bree's POV

Well of course Jack would show up right now, as I was hugging his mortal enemy. I mean honestly, couldn't he have just stayed back and let this be?

"Bree, what are you doing?" Jack says, hurt. "I thought-" he stops, turning away.

Ralph looks at me questioningly. "Get out of here!" I whisper to him. He dives under the bushes next to Piggy. I climb up Castle Rock to where Jack is standing.

"Jack wait," I start, putting a hand on his shoulder. He pushes it away, spinning around to face me. His red face glowered at me.

"No I get it," he spits. "You choose Ralph."

I shake my head. "But I haven't decided-"

"Well it looks to me like you've decided." He looks at me for a second, frowning, and then turns out to face the mouth of the cliff. Then a smile creeps onto his face. Oh no.

I run to the behind him, only to see Piggy scrambling up the cliff as fast as he can. Hot sweat pours down his face and his shirt is stained with the salty fluid. My heart sinks.

Jack is angry + Piggy= disaster.

"Don't do this, Jack." I say.

"I'll just give him a scare," he grins.

Jack reaches for a boulder on the side of the cliff, prepping to push it off.

"NO!" I scream, bolting for the killer. But I'm too late.

The boulder tips off the rocky cliff, individual stones skittering off of the front of my shoes. It seems like it falls a centimeter a minute, like everything was in slow motion. But no amount of time could save poor Piggy from the fate that occurred to him that was written in the stars. Death.