Death

CHAPTER FOUR

It's funny how death can be silent for years in your life, and then one day just show up, knocking on your door.

I couldn't believe that Percy had died, just like that. I fell down to the sand, and hugged myself.

"Its okay if you cry, you know."

I looked up to see Ralph's red eyes and I stared deeply into them. I shook my head, eyes burning.

"There's nothing left."

We sat awkwardly for a moment when Ralph reached for my hand, and this time-I didn't let go.

"Hey chief!" Piggy shouted as he slowly jogged towards us. I looked at Ralph questionably. Chief? I mouthed. He nodded.

"And Jack wasn't very happy about that." He said.

We burst out laughing, and I mean crying laughing. And it wasn't even that funny. It even got to the point that my insides were hurting and I had to stop to catch my breath.

"Guys!" Piggy stopped right next to us, and bent over panting. "You know I can't run on account of my ass-mar."

I giggled. Ralph looked at me and smiled. God, was he good-looking.

"What's up Piggy?" I inquired.

"Jack called a meeting an' you oughta be there."

"Why didn't he blow the conch?" Ralph asked.

"The conch doesn't work on this island."

Startled, I turned around to see Jack and a bunch of boys standing behind him. Ralph stood up. And placed himself between me and Jack.

"I'm going on a hunt! Anyone who wants meat can join," he retorted. "Well, who is going?"

The choir boys, still in their robes, stepped up, as did I. Jack snorted.

"You can't go, Bree, you're a girl."

The boys laughed as my face turned red. I looked at Ralph for help.

"I'm sorry, Bree, but it's true. We don't want you getting hurt." I was fuming.

"I bet I could catch a pig! I'm just as strong as you are!" My heart beat fast as my ears burned. "Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean-"

Ralph stepped in and gently took my arm. "Bree," he whispered. "Why don't you go check on the fire? That can be your job."

I screamed in frustration and ran towards the fire. Behind me, I could hear they boys giggling and Jack retorting, "what a drama queen."

I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"What do you want Ralph?" I growled.

"Look, I don't know what the big deal is," he said.

"What's the big deal?" I shout. "I can't just sit there and listen to Jack's sexist jokes and you doing nothing to stop his little uprise! And you-you humiliated me in front of them. How can you be chief when you don't stand up to your 'royal subjects'? I'm sorry. I'll just go tend to the fire." and with that I just stalked away.

I'm not sure if Ralph actually thought that I was going to watch that fire. I was going on that hunting trip, no matter what. Watching Ralph shake his head and walk over to the huts, I ran over to the group of boys shouting with spears.

"Where's my spear?" I asked.

"Oh, did your master finally let you outta the house, pretty? Or did you have to run away?" he fake cried for me.

"Save it buster," I snorted. "You're gonna need those tears when I kick your butt at hunting." I smirked. As his face turned purple.

"Let's just go," he mumbled. A boy called Maurice handed me a sharpened stick while grinning.

"Wow, tiger, I didn't know you had it in you."

"So are we going to be flirting or fighting?" I ask.

Maurice shook his head and ran ahead. I saw the boys as they ran ahead, not knowing where they were going, as I fell back. I could hear then joking ahead about how I couldn't keep up, while I was searching for pig droppings.

I caught the scent as I stepped in a pile of the stuff with my bare feet. I grit my teeth and followed the hollow hoof prints when I caught my eyes on the prize, sleeping. I sneaked up behind her, eyes glued on her closed ones. With a clean stab, I injured her, waking her up and hearing her squeal. I quickly finished the job and cried out in triumph.

"I got it! I got it!" I screamed with delight as the confused faces of the posse popped up throughout the bushes.

"What, how?" Jack sputtered. I smirked.

"Clean her and roast her. We'll have a feast tonight!" I ordered them as they carried her back to the fire which was burned out.

Wait.

Burned out?

Bree, tend to the fire.

Ralph. He was going to kill me. I had let the signal fire go out.