Alone.

CHAPTER EIGHT

"I guess it's just us now," Piggy whispered, as we huddled together in the huts.

"It's totally my fault," I said.

"No, it's not!" Ralph said.

"Yes, it is. If I hadn't shouted, if I- I just couldn't stop them."

"Stop them from what?" Asked Piggy.

"Turning into savages."

"And there's nothing we can do about it now. We just have to keep the signal fire going, that's all." Ralph assured us.

"What's that?" Piggy whispered in fear.

I strained my ears and couldn't make out anything.

"Do you think it could be the beast?" Piggy wondered. Ralph shook his head.

Maybe it's Jack.

Turns out I was right.

An army of boys yelled, "LONG RULE CHIEF JACK!" As they whooped with laughter and proceeded to poke our hut with sticks.

"Hey! They got my specs!" Piggy squealed.

"We need those glasses for the signal fire!" Ralph yelled.

"I need those to see!" Piggy screamed.

I stalked out of the huts and looked Jack in the eye.

"You give those glasses right back to us!" I barked.

"What?" Jack sputtered.

"You know what I said. Give. Them. Back."

Jack smirked. "Seize her." He ordered.

Sam and Eric helplessly stepped out of the circle and grabbed both of my arms.

"Ralph!" I screamed. He poked his head out of the tent.

"Bree!" He scrambled up and tried to get to me, only to be pushed to the ground by Wilfred and Roger while they started punching him.

"Stop!" I pushed Sam and Eric's arms away from me. "I'll go with you."

The chaos stopped.

"I'll go with you, Jack, if you let Ralph go. "

Jack motioned for the boys to step away from Ralph as I rushed to him. He had a shiner on his right eye and his nose was bleeding. I held his head in my lap.

"What's wrong with you?" I questioned. "You could've asked me!" I shook my head and stood up, following the boys in silence to castle rock.

Sam and Eric guarded my to the "waiting room", a crack in the mountain, so I could be held captive.

"Why did you join his side?" I asked Sam and Eric.

"He forced us," said Sam.

"Yeah, and threatened us with big stick," whispered a wide-eyed Eric.

"Does he treat you right?" I asked them. They looked at each other skeptically and shrugged.

"He doesn't really pay attention to us," they said in unison. And then they froze, eyes locked on someone behind me.

I slowly turned to see a dark-robed boy with a staff.

"The master will see you now."