The Island

CHAPTER TWO

11:57

Cool, dark green water swarmed around me and I opened my eyes. Debris was sinking to the dark depths below me; passports, seatbelts, and-I turned my head away from the dark figure closing its eyes and floating downwards.

As air escaped from my lungs, I swam up to the surface, coughing and sputtering. Ralph. Piggy. Where were they? As I checked my surroundings, I saw a dozen boys pop their heads up above the surface like bubbles.

"Ralph!" I screamed. "Piggy?!" A massive wave pushed my head underwater and my mouth filled with the vile liquid.

After the sudden realization that I had no idea where up was, I blew bubbles through my nose until my lungs burned and I followed them up to the surface. I now used the moment to look around the vast sea until I saw land. Exhausted and hungry, I used what little was left of my energy to freestyle over to the island.

Crawling the rest of the way, I laid down on the wet sand and coughed up water. The waves lapped around me like a blanket as I finally succumbed to the dark entity of sleep.

5 HOURS LATER, 5:00

"It's getting late, should we wake her?"

"Nah, let her get up on her own."

My eyes fluttered open as I saw Piggy, Ralph, and the dark-haired boy standing over me. I tried to get to my feet but I immediately fell back down.

"Are you okay?" Ralph asked. I nodded and smiled at him.

"I'm Jack," the dark haired boy stated. I half smiled at him and turned my attention back to Ralph. Jack turned away, nostrils flaring. Hmm, that was weird. Then again, I didn't really understand Jack yet.

I tried, and succeeded, in picking myself up again, as I realized that a dozen or so boys were crowding around me. I suddenly felt self-conscious in my ripped jeans and t-shirt. I felt all eyes burning into my body. Eww ew ew. I'm just imagining that.

"What's up?" I inquired as the boys' eyes widened in realization and scurried off to "build" huts with Piggy and a curly-haired boy named Simon.

I sat next to Ralph by the pool, and dipped my toes in. "Ralph-"

"Bree?" He looked at me in concern.

"Do you ever, well, think we might be rescued?" I asked.

"My Dad's in the Navy," he assured me. "He'll come and rescue us."

"He won't know we are gone, there's no one left-" Jack's arrogant voice made me shiver. "C'mon, you don't think we actually have a chance."

"Yes we do. All we need to do is make a signal fire and wait ever day for a plane." Ralph seemed so hopeful that I relaxed a bit.

"I ought to be in charge, because I know how to run things," Jack said.

"Guys, we don't know what's happening yet. We should figure out who is who, and see who does what," I was starting to think that this was not a hard thing, it could be like running a city. "And we could-"

"Just shut up, Bree," Jack snarled.

"Hey, watch how you talk to her," Ralph defended. My face fell as Jack's turned red and he stormed away.

I was fuming. How could he talk to me like that? I was even starting to like him a little. I was feeling sorry for him.

"Hey," Ralph said. "Don't listen to him." Ralph's hand started inching towards mine as I stood up quickly.

"Look," I said. "I-I can take care of myself, but I appreciate the offer. I'm going to help Piggy with the huts."

With that, I turned and stalked away without looking back, not wanting to see the hurt look in his eyes.