Fire

This chapter is going to be a little different, as it is in a third person POV. Sorry if it is confusing!

*************************************************

The faint smell of singed leaves could be detected to where Bree and Ralph were sitting in the forest. There was a big bonfire on the beach crafted from tree bark and palm leaves. Roger held a branch over the flame to ignite it and brought it to the clearing of the thick, green forest. 

"Okay, I'm lighting the forest on fire now," Roger said, reluctantly. Jack, standing with his arms folded and leaning against a tree, tapped his foot impatiently. 

"Just do it," he growled, gesturing towards the bonfire as if to threaten Roger. Roger took a deep breath and touched the burning torch to the nearest tree. The fire engulfed the green leaves in orange flame as it danced slowly from tree to tree.

"Stand back, boys," Jack barked. "And wait for them." And the boys waited.

......

Meanwhile, Ralph and Bree were in such a deep trance of love that they didn't notice the firey mayhem around them. Four walls of thick smoke and burning embers stacked around them. Coughing, they realized their fate.

"Ralph-" Bree looked at Ralph desperately. Ralph thought fast.

"C'mon!" He yelled, grabbing Bree's shaking arm. Bree stopped him before he could tumble into the black hole of smog and flame.

"What, are you crazy?" She exclaimed, wide-eyed. "We can't just run in there! We have no idea which way is out!"

Heart racing, Ralph grabbed her shoulders. "We have no choice. Anyway, if we run far enough in any direction, we can get out."

"And if we don't get out?"

"Then you'll be the last person I ever loved."

......

Jack readied the troops on the edge of the beach, as a barrier of small boys armed with sticks. Jack paced back and forth between Maurice and Roger. 

"Where are they?" Jack asked, angrily.

Maurice and Roger exchanged glances. "Well, Chief you can't expect them to get out alive-" Maurice started.

Jack stopped. "Yes, I can," he said slowly. "Everything will go according to my plan."

"And what exactly is your plan, Chief?" Roger persisted.

Jack smiled to himself. "You'll see," he smirked. "Just make sure the boys stay put around the waterfront. I might need some backup. And when they come running out, you guys take Ralph hostage. Leave Bree to me."

The two older boys walked to the center of the beach, awaiting Ralph's arrival, while Jack began pacing again. 

......

Bree and Ralph were running through the forest, coughing up smoke and ash. 

"Ralph, I have to tell you something," Bree confessed.

"What?" Ralph asked, still running. 

"You know when Jack took me hostage to Castle Rock?" Bree said.

Ralph nodded.

"Well, I sorta..." She trailed off, not wanting to tell the truth.

Ralph stopped in a clearing, and looked Bree in the eyes. "What?" He repeated.

"I kissed him," she said, hanging her head in shame. The guilt of the kiss had been weighing on poor Bree's shoulders since that night and Bree was beginning to wonder if Ralph would still love her if he knew.

"It's okay," Ralph said. "He probably forced you into it or something-"

"No." Bree said, not meeting his eyes. "It was completely voluntary." 

Ralph was silent. Bree, wondering his emotions, peeked at his face. It was like stone.

"Do you still love me?" Bree asked meekly.

"Is that what you were worried about?" Ralph asked, confused. Bree nodded. "Bree, I'm really angry, but I still love you. Loving someone means that you love them no matter what, even if they do something to hurt you. And being in a relationship doesn't mean that you don't have to work on it."

Right then, a burning branch fell behind Bree. 

"Shit." Ralph said, breaking the moment. "If we ever get out of this, we're gonna talk about this issue."

Bree nodding, grabbing his arm. "C'mon!" They raced past the burning branch and jumped across a stream. Ralph tripped, falling to the ground. Bree helped him up, encouraging him. "We're almost out!"

Ralph lead the way through the forest. "Wait!" Bree called. Ralph turned around to see Bree on the ground, her foot tangled in vines. Ralph raced to Bree, trying to cut her loose. 

"Ralph, hurry!" Bree whispered nervously, pointing at a burning tree above them that looked as if it would fall any second. 

"I'm trying!" Ralph said, tugging at the vines. The two heard a cracking sound above them, which caused Ralph to tug faster. We have to get out of this. Ralph thought. Finally, the vines broke loose. 

Screaming, Bree realized the tree was coming down on top of her. Closing her eyes, she accepted her death, only to be pulled out from under by Ralph.

"We dodged a bullet there, partner." Ralph said, smiling at the weakened Bree. She laughed. "I could've taken care of myself."

They stumbled out of the forest, coughing and hugging the ground. 

"Well, well, well," Jack said icily in a cliche villain manner. "Who's gonna help you now?"

Bree turned to Ralph and whispered a single word.

"Trapped."